• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a Diplomatic solution

Dross

Explorer
As Elf Witch and a couple of others have said, trading skills might be okay.

Remember that the DMG ( maybe DMGII) has rules/advice about modifying classes. See if the DM is happy to do so.

I've always thought sorcerers having bluff pretty much came down to:
":blush: Honestly, I did NOT burn down our home. :angel:"

Elf Witch

First Post
I've always thought sorcerers having bluff pretty much came down to:
":blush: Honestly, I did NOT burn down our home. :angel:"

I can see that too but I can also see "if you don't do what I say I will rein fireball after fireball on you" so I never got why they didn't get intimidate as a class skill.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Well the "fluff" for sorcerers explains that they are often misunderstood and experience unexpected coming-of-age events as they gain their powers before they truly master them. Thus they naturally get pretty good and trying to hide their arcane nature from others lest they be discovered and run out of town. I think that was the genesis for the explanation of giving sorcerers Bluff. But part of it was totally meta. The devs looked at the sorcerer skill list and said, "Come on guys. We have to give the sorcerer something better than this!"

TheEvil

Explorer
Well the "fluff" for sorcerers explains that they are often misunderstood and experience unexpected coming-of-age events as they gain their powers before they truly master them. Thus they naturally get pretty good and trying to hide their arcane nature from others lest they be discovered and run out of town. I think that was the genesis for the explanation of giving sorcerers Bluff. But part of it was totally meta. The devs looked at the sorcerer skill list and said, "Come on guys. We have to give the sorcerer something better than this!"

"and giving access to any more social skills will make the bard feel bad."

As it happens, I asked the GM if I could sub out the social skill, turns out he wasn't even aware that Sorcerers don't get any social skill but Bluff. He said to go ahead and swap out Bluff for Diplomacy. :)

Dandu

First Post
Quite honestly, why would you want to, as a sorcerer, waste a feat that could be spent on something amazing like Sudden Maximize in order to get Diplomacy as a class skill?
Because it fits your character concept...y'know, role-play.
Furthermore, since when was Sudden Maximize amazing? Quite honestly, why would you want to, as a sorcerer, waste a feat that could be spent on something amazing like Invisible Spell, Sculpt Spell, or Residual Magic in order to maximize a damage spell once per day?

Last edited:

Remove ads