• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a Feat: Improved Animal Companion

sparxmith

First Post
Heya Guyzos,

My girlfriend, playing a Druid, wants to take a Tiger as her animal companion. Unfortunately, she's 2 levels too low to qualify for it. I remember reading somewhere about a feat, Improved animal companion, that allowed you to select an animal companion as though you were two levels higher than actually are. Does anybody know where this feat comes from? Our DM says she can take it if I can show him where I got it.

Thanx for the help,

Sparxmith

PS 5 coolness points will be awarded if you can tell me where my "Heya Guyzos" comes from. :cool:

Does Heya Guyzos come from Get Fuzzy?

I googled the feat, and I'm getting some pages, but none give me the source of the feat :\

Instead of getting the feat, why not downgrade the tiger a little bit?

AR

sparxmith

First Post
5 Coolness points given to Altamount!

Yep, it's from get fuzzy.

I couldn't find anything useful on google either, hence, me asking on enworld.

Downgrading the tiger might work, I'll talk to the GF and DM about it if nobody knows where the feat is from. Thanx for the idea. :D

Klaus

First Post
Easy enough:

Reduce the tiger to Medium size and let her take it at the lower category (I think at the same level as a lion would do). When she gets to a level where she could take a tiger, increase its size back to Large.

Micah

First Post
A bobcat or lynx might meet size factors.

I had a low level druid with a bobcat once. DM was real nice in helping me figure out jump and move stats. The cat was probably still a bit powerful, but it was a lot of fun. Felines have attitudes.

Last edited:

Jeb McDonald

First Post
My son is playing a 4th level Ranger who just found his first animal companion. He really wanted a tiger, so the DM gave him a baby one which has all of the abilities of a standard wolf. As the Ranger increases in levels, the tiger will improve until it gets "full tiger status" when the Ranger is of appropriate level.

sparxmith

First Post
I sent an email to the DM with the suggestion about using a juvenile tiger, still waiting on the reply. My GF just REALLY wants a Tiger. She's considered a lion, but that's not what she wants. She's creating the character because of character death. She'll be starting at 6th level which misses the tiger by one level.

Thanx again guys,

Sparxmith

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
You could reduce the HD on the tiger. That would keep the tiger low enough BUT still be semi-effective.

Just an idea.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
sparxmith said:
I sent an email to the DM with the suggestion about using a juvenile tiger, still waiting on the reply. My GF just REALLY wants a Tiger. She's considered a lion, but that's not what she wants. She's creating the character because of character death. She'll be starting at 6th level which misses the tiger by one level.
This is the idea I'd go with as a DM. I'd be leery of allowing a feat to improve the already very strong animal companion, but keeping the strength the same while altering the flavor is always acceptable. Just go with the lion stats as a young tiger, then next level it can complete its maturity and use the tiger stats.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads