• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a few German one liners

Heathen72

Explorer
Ich bin ein berliner
"I am a jelly Donut"

Well, not really. it means something more like "I am one with the peoples of Berlin", but there is an urban myth to the effect that President John F. Kennedy mispronounced the german phrase "Ich Bin Ein Berliner" so that it sounded as if he had said "I am a jelly donut". Apparently this provided much amusement to the crowd at the Berlin wall.

If you type in "I am a jelly donut, JFK" into any decent search engine you will find several sites on the subject some which tell you "Yes, It's true" and others that say that it was "the gaffe that wasn't."

It's amusing, nonetheless. And when your fellow players ask you where you come from you can say "Ich bin ein berliner" and chuckle to yourself.

LcKedovan

Explorer
Jürgen Hubert said:
You forgot the most common German swearword of all:

"Scheisse!"

Use liberally.

Hahaha, welcome to the boards Jürgen!

Anyhow, if your guy is drinking a beer in the game:

"Prost"

Cheers

or

"Das die gurgle nicht verrostet"

A toast: May your throat never rust

or

"Hoch die tassen"

Raise your glasses

or

"Zum wohl"

Another way of saying Cheers

-Will

Ich bin ein berliner
"I am a jelly Donut"

Well, not really. it means something more like "I am one with the peoples of Berlin", but there is an urban myth to the effect that President John F. Kennedy mispronounced the german phrase "Ich Bin Ein Berliner" so that it sounded as if he had said "I am a jelly donut". Apparently this provided much amusement to the crowd at the Berlin wall.

If you type in "I am a jelly donut, JFK" into any decent search engine you will find several sites on the subject some which tell you "Yes, It's true" and others that say that it was "the gaffe that wasn't."

It's amusing, nonetheless. And when your fellow players ask you where you come from you can say "Ich bin ein berliner" and chuckle to yourself.
Interesting, never heard of this - And I am from Germany. Maybe German changed in the past 30-40 years, but I don`t know a way to mispronounce "Berliner", so that you confuse it with "Berliner". :)
Both words look identically in script and are pronounced the same way. You can use the word for some silly and not so great puns. :)

Scheisse is certainly very important "One Liner". :)
If you want to use some lines of movies or series, try this:
"Harry, fahr schon mal den Wagen vor". (Derrick)
Translation is: "Harry, get the car" (okay, this does not fit the style, but I don`t know a better translation - at least you get the meaining)

(The thing remembers me of something we German tend to make when in Britain or USA: "Waiter, I become a beef steak" - "I hope not, Sir" - "become" is similar to the German verb "bekommen", which means "get" - But at least this is a mistake that probably really happens)

"Das interessiert mich einen feuchen Dreck" oder "Das interessiert mich einen feuchten Kehrricht"
- That doesn`t interest me (That does interest me like wet dirt)

"Du kannst mich mal" oder "Leck mich"
- Eat my Shorts (?)

Oh, and if you remember Wolfenstein 3D, the German Officers there called "Mein Leben" (my life) when they died - actually, no German would say this when he dies, I think, but would anyone in your group notice? :)

Mustrum Ridcully

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
BOZ said:
Schweinhund!
(not sure, but it's an insult - literally "pig-dog")[/B]
LOL! That's the cliché nazi version...
More correct would be "Schweinehund." :)

Jürgen Hubert said:
You forgot the most common German swearword of all:

"Scheisse!"

Use liberally.
And literally - although the language filter here won't allow that in English! :p

ragnarok said:

to die- sterben
someone is dying- jemand stirbt
I die- Ich sterbe
Also of note is the imperative form (i.e., Die!!!): "Stirb!" (plural: "Sterbt!")

Last edited:

Remove ads