• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a few good comics.

Darklance

First Post
I haven't really read any comics in years but I recently saw a issue of my friends "WAR LANDS" ( I think) It was the first issue of the series and really good.

I'm thinking about going to buying some comics so could anyone recommend any good series?

Specifically I'm looking for fantasy but sci-fi is ok. I'm not really interested in super hero comics though. Thanks for your help.

Oni

First Post
There are two sets of graphic novels I collect that I think are about as good as they come. They aren't really fantasy, but they certainly have their fantastical elements.

Lone wolf and cub which comes out monthly in a pocket size approx 300 page format. It is the tale of shoguns former executioner who was framed by another clan that wanted his position and now he is traveling with is very young son (around 3 or so) working as an assassin and trying to gain vengence on the clan that framed and him and continues to hunt him.

Blade of the Immortal, it doesn't come out as often, buts its you can find them all at any decent book store. Its a samurai book with a supernatural twist. The main character cannot die until he atones for his sins by killing 1000 evil men (or women). He was a great swordsman, but his newfound immortality is slowly causing that to deteriorate. A young aspiring swords woman who's family was wiped out by a rival sword school comes to him and the book follows her quest for vengence and Manji (the main character) trying to keep her alive.

Also I highy recomment you check out anything by Crossgen comics, pretty much all they make is fantasy or sci-fi. They have several excellent books, my personal favorites being Meridean and Ruse. I haven't had a chance to check it out, but I hear that their Sojourn is also quite good and it is pretty much pure fantasy.

I know I might be in the minority, but I will definitely recommend Midnight Nation. The premise is that a cop from Los Angeles tries to track down some criminals committing brutal crimes, and when he finally confronts them, they attack him, but instead of killing him they steal his soul. Without a soul, he fades into sort of an alternate world, the Midnight Nation, where all the uncared for or forgotten people of the world go. It's a world of dilapidation and near-hopelessness, and anyone who goes there literally disappears from the real world.

The main character has a chance, however, to reclaim his soul, and make it back to the real world. In order to get his soul back, however, he has to go to New York, far across the country. He has a year to accomplish this, but since the only machines in this other world are broken and can't work, he has to travel on foot.

It's loosely based on Christian lore, but the author is not Christian himself, so he takes a fair share of liberties. Regardless, it's still a very moving and very well-written series. It's on issue 11 right now, out of a total of 12.

I also suggest you take a look at Kabuki, written and illustrated by David Mack. Later issues are actually painted in watercolor, and it has some of the most gorgeous art of any comic I've read. It's a bit cerebral and non-traditional, but it focuses on one main character, a woman who works for a law-enforcement agency in Japan. All of the agents of the agency wear masks from Noh plays (a style of Japanese play), and the main character wears a Kabuki mask. Because of the intense symbolism of having to always wear a mask, the story mostly involves tracing Kabuki's internal thoughts as she has to deal with the assignments the agency gives her, which she increasingly begins to feel are wrong. It's an odd premise, but is pulled off very well.

Finally, you can't go wrong with manga. Well, you can, but not if you get good stuff. There is about a thousand times more manga coming out of Japan as there are comics in the US, so your chances of finding something that you like are much higher. Plus the art, though often a little unorthodox by Western standards, is consistently high quality. It seems bizarre to me that a lot of comic companies in the US settle for crappy art for many of their books, but in Japan, manga is so much a staple of the society that there is no shortage of skilled artists to illustrate their comics.

Ryan "RangerWickett" Nock

p.s., Avoid the D&D: In the Shadow of Dragons comic like the plague. No offense to those here who work on it, but I think the art is poorly done, the story cliched, and the characters emotionally bland.

Avantgeek

First Post
Good Comics

Someone already mentioned Crossgen, but they didn't mention the only book published by them that I like (don't get me wrong, it's not that I think their other books are bad, it's just that none of them grabbed me). Anywho, Sojourn is a pretty standard high-fantasy series that I get a kick out of (especially the Boris Karloff-looking bad guy).

Others I would recommend...

Transmetropolitan (near future SF with a twist)...

100 Bullets (modern noir)...

Hellblazer (horror)...

Just a Pilgrim (dystopian SF)...

I'm a sucker for well done (which isn't meant to have anything to do with how they're cooked) super-hero books, but you don't wanna know about those, so I'll go away now.

Oni

First Post
Yeah Midnight Nation is pretty good. I was buying that on a regular basis until my local store dropped it, then closed down all together. I'm not a huge fan of the artist of the book, it seems a little stiff to me, but it's not bad at all.

And here is a statistic I read somewhere (time or something like that). Comic books make up a full one third of all Japanese publising. Thats why they have so many great artist, its really a respectable profession over there.

Jaws

First Post
Comics

Two good fantasy comics.

Bone by Jeff Smith
Castle Waiting by Linda Medley

And then there is Sandman by Neil Gaiman.

Peace and smiles :)

Oni, you don't like Gary Frank's art? That man is brilliant! He's the only mainstream comic artist I know who can portray so much emotion in just a person's eyes. He's a role model for me, at least as far as his art goes. But ah well, different strokes for different folks. :)

Agamon

Adventurer
My short list these days (short 'cause they're too dang expensive and I don't have as much time anymore):

Ultimate Spider-Man. Best super-hero comic I've read. Ever. (and I've read Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns...) The other Ultimate comics aren't too shabby, either.

Knights of the Dinner Table. Not your normal, everyday comic, more like a magazine, really. But if your a gamer, it's a must read. Funny, with great stories.

Huh. That is a short list. I'm not too big on the fantasy comics (Warlands, Battle Chasers, Dungeons & Dragons) because I find the pacing to be lacking. You read an issue and either too much zips by and it's confusing, or too little happens and you wonder why you wasted you money on it. Comic book format fits the super-hero genre well, but I'll stick to books, movies and TV for my fantasy.

your_mother

Explorer
good comics

Good comics to read (OK, so they aren't all fantasy. my bad):

Johnny the Homicidal Maniac (modern)

The Watchmen (super hero-like)

V is for Vendetta (kind of sci-fi)

From Hell (historical)

Stray Bullets (seventies)

all of the Clerks comics (modern)

the Bad Art Collection (OK, so it is not a series, it has very little to do with reality.)

Squee (modern, see Invader Zim on Nick Television)

I Feel Sick (sci fi)

Spider Ham (Starring: Peter Porker, eighties era "modern")

Sock Monkey (fantasy, though low level fantasy. like James and the Giant Peach)

the House of Secrets (modern)

...that is about all I can think of at the moment.

A good modern day / fantasy crossover comic would be Books of Magic. Also, Preacher.

I don't usually read true Fantasy, Dungeons and Dragons style comics.

Last edited:

If you can still find 'em, there was a series of 4 comics printed last year called Area 52 about a U.S. Army station in Antarctica where all the evidence of paranormal/extraterrestrial was kept by the government. An alien killing machine is let loose and adventure ensues! It also has lot's of references to RPGs and other Comics (They find Green Lantern's ring, Thor's hammer, etc.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads