• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a good mapping program.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
I use Photoshop, but that probably isn't what your looking for. Dundjinni is pretty cool, I have that. Also, a lot of people seem to like Campaign Cartographer though I think those maps look really cheap.

Aus_Snow

First Post
A lot of people (like me, say) use anything from MS Paint to The Gimp to Paintshop Pro, as free or cheap - and very flexible - alternatives to 'actual mapping programs'.

Or yeah, the forementioned Photoshop, at the high end.

Whenever I look at what's sold at places like RPGNow, Fractal Mapper seems to have topped some chart or other, or nearly so. Wouldn't know what that's like, but I guess it must have some appeal. . . (?)

My view on Campaign Cartographer concurs with JVisgaitis'.

Dundjinni, from what little I know of it, seems to be very nice for close-in, but not so hot for the big picture.

deltadave

First Post
I use Campaign Cartographer and it works really well for me. Lots of times I'll do a sketch on paper or in a paint program (GIMP is my fave) and then transfer it over to CC2pro. Looking forward to the release of CC3 which has lots of really cool map enhancing features.

The bad thing about CC2 is that it has a pretty heavy learning curve, but that is outweighed by the results you can get if you really know the program. It can do some of the best looking maps I've ever seen if you are willing to customize to get the results you want

http://www.darkleagues.com/fantasymapping/maps/antique/Boston/Boston1842-800.htm

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Hmmm, since the Fool over at Ancient Awakenings released his City tools for Fractal Mapper I have been using that a fair amount. It more than doubled my use of the program.

For interiors I still use Dungeon Crafter. The old Dungeoncrafter site is now gone, but you can find it archived at Archive.org Gods the Archive.org site is useful.

A new version of Campaign Cartographer is coming out, and looks like it is going to be able to compete with Dindjinni, and more. This is the one that I am waiting for. :)

The Auld Grump

Imruphel

First Post
One thing to consider with Dundjinni is that its basic function is to slow your PC down to a crawl and then frustrate the heck out of you.

The maps are great and the learning curve is quite good but it's almost impossible to use on most PCs because it's such a resource hog.

Another option is to buy the maps from Skeleton Key Games and the new online programme that allows you to join them together.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I used Fractal Terrains to build my campaign world (soooo much fun), and I have Dunjinni for the small-scale stuff. Because I'm building a new campaign pretty much as we speak, I'm looking at options for the mid-scale maps and CC2 kind of looks like the best one at the moment. However I'm a little reluctant to buy it, given that CC3 seems to be imminent.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads