• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a little GUMSHOE insight

klofft

Explorer
I've started a campaign of Night's Black Agents and last night saw our first mission. Prior to this, I've played short scenarios (more like extended scenes than full "adventures") and I've read all the scraps of advice I can dig up.

Overall, the mission went well and everybody enjoyed it. I was running very free-form with only a skeletal outline, and I was liberal with doling out information. I didn't consciously define anything as a "core clue," though I knew what I needed to tell them to get to the next part of the story. That all seemed to work.

It was a 4-hour session. I'm wondering how "spent" the PCs should be by the end of a mission. I was under the impression that I wasn't taxing them enough, but after the game, the players told me (without me even asking) that they felt the opposite - they felt they had little left. When we looked at their sheets, that was partially true. The PCs were all burnt-out on their "niche" skills, but they had plenty of less-developed abilities basically untouched. All told, each spent about 20-25 points during the session.

Does that seem about right? Or should the PCs be really running on fumes for all their resources?

They were very smart with combat, keeping it to a minimum and never killing anyone. I made the opposition fairly weak, so no one was in real danger of being hurt. I accidentally forgot about Stability rolls, but even if they failed them, no one would have been at 0.

For those who have experience with the game, did I do alright? :) Do I need to adjust anything?

Remove ads