• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a monster.

xigbar

Explorer
I'm looking for a monster that has some ability that allows them to spawn weaker creatures every (or near every) round. If this were a passive ability that allowed the creature to make a basic slam attack or something of the sort in the meantime, that's a plus. Something plant like would be nice as well, but not needed. Mostly, something with the aforementioned ability, high health, little combat abilities, but probably at least huge size. The Orcwot was the first thing that came to my mind, but it's not not fast enough.

Omegaxicor

First Post
I know what you mean, a hive monster, I don't think D&D does them, best i can think of are demons that summon other demons but they are very limited times per day.

You could make a monster based on Phantasy Star Online's Monest
" http://www.freewebs.com/phantasy_star_online/monest.bmp "

EDIT: the picture actually doesn't tell you much about the monster, it appears and spawns another monster every few seconds, the smaller monsters are weak but can surround you and deal lots of damage

Last edited:

Psychotic Jim

First Post
Hmm, what immediately comes to mind is the Neogi Old Master (originally from Spelljammer 2e.) I think they have a 3.5 version of it in Lords of Madness. Basically, its premise is that as a neogi grows old it bloats out to immense proportions and goes senile. the other neogi drug it and implant many of their young. So basically it's like a big walking egg sack with an immense appetite, kinda like an insectile boomer. And it spews out its broodspawn every time it takes damage.

The ravid (first appearing IIRC in Planescape 2e Monstrous Compendium III) but also made it into the core 3.X Monster manual may be the ultimate "summoning" monster. With little power of its own, it can animate nearly any object around it. Can make for some fun (if difficult) encounters.

Other ideas, well, there's always conjurers and summon monster- you can do some nasty stuff with that. Rot reavers (from Libris Mortis) can animate the dead of their victims. It or other similar necromantic animating beasties might be an alternative to pure summoning/conjuration

If you wanted to go really out there, Tome of Horrors Complete (for Pathfinder) had a kinda joke monster of the Tome itself (CR 20) in the foreward that could summon any monster within its contents.

Leif

Adventurer
Yeah..Yellow Musk Mold or some such.
Actually,

Yellow Musk Creeper
AD&D Fiend Folio, p. 97, copyright TSR Hobbies, Inc. 1981
Freq: Rare
No. App: 1
AC: 7
Move: None
HD: 3
% in Lair: 100%
Treasure Type: Any
# of Att: 2-12
Damage/Att: Special
SA: Nil
SD: Nil
Int: Non
Align: Neutral
Size: L
Psi: Nil
Level/XP Value: III/65+3 per hp

When approached w/in 10' the creeper attacks, puffing dust/spores into its victim's face. Victim must save vs. Magic or be entranced and walk into the mass of the plant, resisting any attempt to restrain him and taking the remainder of the melee round to do so. Once in the heart of the plant, the aerial roots burrow into his skull and eat his brain at the rate of 1d4 Int. points per round. So many roots attach to a victim at once that attacking the roots individually has no chance to save the victim. The only way to kill the 'creeper is by stabbing at its bulbous root buried 1" below the surface of the earth.

If the victim's intelligence is reduced to zero by the 'creeper, the victim dies, but if his intelligence is reduced to 1 or 2 points then he immediately becomes a Yellow Musk Zombie. Each creeper will have one Yellow Musk Zombie for every two flowers. Intelligence loss in tose not transformed into y.m. zombies is temporary and will be regained at the rate of one point per day of rest. Heal restores all lost intelligence immediately.

Yellow Musk Zombie
AD&D Fiend Folio, p. 97, copyright TSR Hobbies, Inc. 1981
No. App: 1-2
AC: Variable
Move: as human
HD: 2
% in Lair: Nil
Treasure Type: Nil
No. Att.: 1
Damage/Att.: By Weapon Type
Spec. Att.: Nil
Spec. Def.: Nil