• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a new system!!!

Prophet2b

First Post
I'd be another to suggest a look at the Cortex system. The book is more than 100 pages, but it's got everything else you're looking for, from what it sounds like. And while it's more than 100 pages, the rules are incredibly simple and light. It doesn't take any time at all to learn them (read through once, skim through them a few more times, and play once - that's all it really took for me), and you'll never really have to look at the book in-game once you do get them down.

Plus, if you're GMing, it's insanely easy to run and come up with stuff on the fly. Which, in my book, is always a huge plus.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
The Dark Eye basic rules (by FanPro) may meet your needs.

Rules Light! - and I mean very light, less than 100 pages of material for all books combined wo9uld be super.

The basic rules are available in one book and, though it is over 100 pages long, many of those pages are dedicated to fluff. The basic system itself weighs in at approximately 40 pages.

Skill based - where actions outside of combat require more than just a glossing over.

Definitely skill-based, with each skill test taking multiple aspects of the character into consideration.

Combat variable - not the center of the stage, but easily integrated into the system.

Combat is not the central focus of the mechanics, but shares the stage with non-combat action.

Not GURPS - sorry I don't like GURPS, not elegant and too many rules (in the latest edition)

Not GURPS.

Does not have to be a generic system, but that would be a bonus. Monster design is quick and painless.

It's a generic-ish fantasy system, much like D&D (which makes sense, as it was at one time based on D&D).

Magic can be scaled to near non-existence without destroying the system.

Magic is, by default, nowhere near as prolific as it is in D&D settings.

Not level based (but this isn't necessarily a deal breaker.)

It is class and level-based, but you can't win 'em all ;)

I like running historically based anachronistic style games, where real world history can be altered slightly to make the world more believable.

You should love the default setting of The Dark Eye, then. It draws heavily on real world cultures and governments for inspiration.

I don't like total reliance on magic (of any type) to make the system usable, but like having the option to make it available.

Magic is by no means necessary.

WildWalker

First Post
You might want to look at Microlite20.

Rules light: VERY. It can be down to one page. Complete versions are 3-5ish.

Skill based: Yes, although not in the way you might think. The Modern version moreso than the fantasy version.

Combat variable: I find the combat to be extremely variable and REALLY fun besides.

Not GURPS: Yup.

Generic: It can be...or extremely focused.

Monster design: I find it very easy but you can scam monsters from all versions of D&D up to 3.x with no sweat so, if you have ANY Monster Manuals youve got everything you need...or you can use monsters from the SRD pretty much unchanged.

Magic: Can be used...or not. No deal breakers so long as your creatures are not magical. There are several healing paradigyms...pick the one you like and you are off to the races.

Not Level based: Only one that might turn you off. The system is level based and can be class based depending on which hack you like.

Oh yeah, it's also...FREE.

I'd pitch my hack (W6) but it isn't ready. Microlite20 is.

WildWalker

markkat

First Post
Thunderfoot, you might find Wayfarers worth your while. It doesn't match all your criteria, but comes close. The PDF is free for the time being so nothing lost.

Wayfarers is not rules heavy, but I wouldn't call it rules light either. It is very easy to learn, however.
It's d20, but is skill based (no classes) and has a significant non-combat character dimension.
Combat can be a focus, or not.
It's not GURPS!
Not generic. -A miss.
Monster design is quick and painless.
Levels do exist, but they are more a book-keeping convenience than a real predictor of character power.

The one thing I think you might appreciate is the fact that magic can be scaled way down, or removed with little effect upon the game itself. Also, the one book contains everything you need, including a MM and a very flush campaign setting called Twylos that has a dark realism quality you might dig.

Best of luck.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I found that post I alluded to above regarding the new FRPG based on the M&M system.

Pramas

Here's the info for Warriors & Warlocks. We'll be talking more about it on mutantsandmasterminds.com as we get closer to release.

Warriors & Warlocks
A Mutants & Masterminds Sourcebook
Authors: Dale Donovan, Matthew E. Kaiser, Steve Kenson, and Aaron Sullivan
Format: 160 pages, full color, softback
MSRP: $29.95
Product Code: GRR2525
ISBN-10: 1-934547-19-0
ISBN-13: 978-1-934547-19-9

Not all comic books are about costumed heroes fighting crime; many classic comics have featured the fantastical adventures of sword-wielding and spell-casting heroes. Now Warriors & Warlocks takes the Mutants & Masterminds RPG to the realm of fantasy. This beautifully illustrated sourcebook includes information on character design, magic, equipment, villains, monsters, and more. It also includes a Mutants & Masterminds rules companion to Green Ronin's popular Pirate’s Guide to Freeport, along with an introduction and overview of Freeport as a setting for fantasy adventures. Warriors & Warlocks is your go-to guide for comic book sword & sorcery action.

Aus_Snow

First Post
I believe it was slated for around the end of November (?). . . but I'm not sure, and the information isn't at hand right now.

I might advise giving it until the end of the year, if not a bit longer, just to be on the safe side (if you were thinking about scheduling or organising anything with it, that is.)

So far, the Design Journal gives you the cover, if that helps: http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com/super-vision/000610.php

I like it, but yeah, it probably doesn't tell you all that much, I guess. :)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I think that Basic RolePlaying (Chaosium) is definitely the best shot you've got. It might be over 100pages, but it doesn't feel like it and the essential RQ system which it embodies is the best system ever, for my money.

Cheers

Remove ads