• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a Playing Card Based RPG

Tagnik

First Post
This is something I came up with for my Microlite20 game in which I gave Rogues and Fighters maneuvers from ToBtbo9s.

Spells and Maneuvers are card/deck based.

Every time you gain new spells write them on a 3 by 5 card and add them to your deck, you can simply write the book name, ability name, and a page number if you want. Place them all face down mixed into a deck. If you want to cast the same spell or use the same ability more than once, you may put up to 4 of them into your deck.

After you roll initiative, draw as many cards as you have per point of DEX bonus (minimum 1).

At the end of your turn you may draw one card only. If you roll a natural 20 (during an attack or a counter-attack), you may draw a card (and use it for an attack) immediately.

You may discard a number of cards at the end of your turn to draw different cards.

Start with a number of abilities equal to your MIND Score. Gain a number of new spells each level (Including first level) equal to your MIND Bonus + 1 (Min. of 1).

SOmething like that.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Although the base system (vs. Monsters) is available via .pdf. It gives a pretty solid idea of how the system would work, though it needs a lot of filling out to actually be played (silly 24 hour rpgs). I'd imagine the not-free version fixes most of those issues.

Quite the enlightening read-through. Thanks for mentioning it, jaerdaph

jhilahd

Explorer
Castle Falkenstein.
Completely card based game play, and even has a West supplement.
It's fantasy with steampunk overtones. But can easily be adpated to just a western.

Treebore

First Post
Aces and Eights isn't considered rules lite, but one of the reasons it is the first Western RPG I have ever fallen in love with is its use of cards and poker chips seriously enhances the "atmosphere". You still primarily use a d20 and damage dice, but you use poker chips to "bid" on various aspects when you have a fist fight, cards are used for chase scenes, and the shot clock is just awesome.

I much prefer it to Savage Worlds/Deadlands. Definitely a taste issue, since I know people who prefer SW/Deadlands over A&8's.

Seer7

First Post
Cartomancer RPG System

If you'd like to use playing cards instead of dice may I recommend the Cartomancer RPG System, a system which uses only playing cards and can be used for creating any RPG setting. The Basic Rules are free to download in PDF format.

Cartomancer RPG System

Remove ads