• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a second level psychic warrior power

Tyrrell

First Post
I have a Psychic warrior who just reached sixth level. I am trying to choose the ideal second level power to take. I'm considering the power that grants a +2 insight bonus on to-hit rolls, I hope to use it with persistent power after the character gains 7 levels or so. I already have psionic equilibrium which does a similar thing (it provides an unnamed bonus so it will stack.) so I sure don't need to take it this level. What would be (in your opinion) the best 2nd level psychic warrior ability for a great sword wielder?

Here's the character

Feats
weapon focus Great sword
Psionic equilibrium
power attack
psionic weapon

at sixth level
extend power
weapon specialization greatsword

Stats
str 16
dex 13
con 14
int 12
wi 12
chr 11

first level powers
combat precognition
vigor
hustle

Second level
animal affinity

Urbanmech

Explorer
Enlarge is nice, at 10th lv it will give you +5 str that stacks with Animal Affinity. Since it looks like you are a 2handed weapon user the extra strength damage can help a lot.

Aloïsius

First Post
haven't forget a feat ?
level 1: 2
level 2: 1
level 3: 1
level 5: 1
total 5, you list only 4

To answer your question, one of the most useful power at 2nd level is reach (from Wotc site) : it's a free action power that gave you +5 feet reach. So if you have combat reflexe, you can use the first round of combat to boost yourself (with vigor by example) and still attack your ennemy, thanks to the numerous AoO they will give you by closing in. It becomes really frightening if you take stand still as a feat : ennemy attempting to close in will have to make fort save (if you hit) with a DC =10+damage dealt to not loose their movement ! Since you wield a greatsword and have the geratsword spec, that's an average DC of 25 if your strength = 18. You hit, they can't hit you.

Zhure

First Post
Vigilance. Sort of a short range Darkvision, but it also lets one see even through magical darkness up to ten feet. You can use this to just whup on people in the dark.

Greg

Tyrrell

First Post
haven't forget a feat ?

Yes I have. I picked up dodge thinking about psionic dodge later. I then read about the five power point reserve that I have to keep in order for psionic dodge to function. I won't be taking psionic dodge for many levels, nor for that matter will I take deep impact.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Spatzimaus

First Post
Well, I have a level 13 Psywar, and I took Vigilance, Animal Affinity, Combat Prescience.

Vigilance is VERY good. It's not just an alternative to Darkvision. Here's why it's good:
> It works in magical darkness, to a distance of 10'. Not enough to really be unaffected, but enough that you can still see the guy you're in melee with. In fact, you can use this to your advantage, by carrying around an item with Darkness cast on it. Run up to someone and attack them while they can't see anything.
> It works in dust/fog/etc.
> It lasts pretty much all day by the time you get to high level.
> Even though it's self-only, it's also a unique power. You're not playing second-fiddle to the pure casters on this one; you have something better than them.

And the only downsides? Only 30' darkvision, and it's self-only. Self-only doesn't hurt as much as you think; Psywars don't have enough PPs to cast individual spells on everyone in the group anyway.

Combat Prescience is nice, too, but its duration is short. It becomes one of those "cast it in round 1" powers. Not that that's always a bad thing, now, but when you get to where you're using level 3 and 4 powers, you'll have a lot of powers of this type, and not enough time to cast them (especially with the Haste change in 3.5E). I still took it anyway, of course.

Edit: Forgot to say, we still haven't totally agreed on the Psionic Equilibrium feat. If I can get it approved, I'd definitely consider asking for a retroactive change to dump Combat Prescience, but the fact is, there aren't many good level 2 powers for Psychic Warriors anyway. I might just keep both.

Last edited:

pingpong

First Post

theres a couple good utility powers at 2nd level, too.

Levitate can be good, and i kinda like Sudden Minor Creation. theyre not first picks, but they are pretty versatile.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads