• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a versatile Sorc Build

apsuman

First Post
jarlaxlecq said:
At 1, 5 and 10th level. or general suggestions. I want to be a spellcaster but i simply want that flexibility with choosing spells. the Race would be human, 32 point buy. Core Books, complete series and the other main WotC books.

Thanks in advance

A couple of other ideas that came to mind. First, before you do anything else with your sorcerer, come up with an idea of what you want him to be. If you want a sorcerer with spells that are darn near impoosible to save against , you want one kind of sorcerer, if you want a battle mage, you ant a different kid of sorcerer and I think both of those models can fit into the ides of a versitile sorcerer. In any event your "theme" should influence EVERYthing about your sorcerer. Anyway, the second idea I has was : Stats.

In order of imporantce IMHO

CHA
CON
DEX
INT
WIS
STR

If high DCs are what you want

CHA 18 For this build I would suggest, Spellcasting Prodigy (if available)
CON 14 spell focus, greater spell focus, improved initiative,
DEX 12 empower spell, eschew matierials, twin spell
INT 10
WIS 10
STR 10

More versitiility
CHA 16 For this one I would suggest: improved initiative or combat
CON 14 casting, empower spell, silent spell, extra spell (if needed)
DEX 14
INT 14
WIS 10
STR 10

Maximum combat survivability
CHA 16 Feats: improved initiative, combat casting, iron will, diehard,
CON 16 lightning reflexes
DEX 14
INT 10
WIS 10
STR 10

Maximum out of combat utility
CHA 17 and bump int at level 4 and cha at level 8
CON 10
DEX 10
INT 17
WIS 10
STR 8

g!

zeo_evil

First Post
Not sure if this will help, but I have been playing this for awhile now. We use a 38 point buy for our high-powered game. Also using Game Mechanics alternate death rules (negative level not level loss). Multiple deaths are not unlikely. Otherwise, v.3.5 by the books. I like the Battle Sorcerer because it opens up many intrigueing prestige class options that a sorcerer might not otherwise have. Consider the spellsword and eldritch knight prestige classes for starters. Would otherwise require more fighter levels to get the base attack bonus. Behold, Fylk the Furious! Appologies for my character sheet style. I use stat blocks not character sheets.

Fylk
Male Kobold Battle Sorcerer 8*/Fighter 1/Spellsword 1
Experience: 49,750/55,000
Deity: Tempus
Hit Dice: 9d8 plus 1d10 (49 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 24 (+6 Armor, +1 Deflection, +2 Dex, +1 Natural, +3 Shield, +1 Size) touch 14, flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+5
Attack: +1 keen longsword +12 melee (1d6+2/17-20/x2) or +1 composite (+1 Str bonus) longbow +12 ranged (1d6+2/x3)
Full Attack: +1 keen longsword +12/+7 melee (1d6+2/17-20/x2) or +1 composite (+1 Str bonus) longbow +12/+7 ranged (1d6+2/x3)
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., light sensitivity
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +7, Will +11
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 14, Con 11, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 19
Languages: Common, Draconic
Skills: Balance +0, Climb -1, Concentration +11, Craft (trapmaking) +3, Escape Artist +0, Hide +0, Jump -1, Knowledge (arcana) +12, Knowledge (the planes) +4, Move Silently +0, Ride +5, Search +3, Spellcraft +14, Swim -3
Feats: Combat Casting, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Sharp-Shooting, Weapon Focus (longsword)
Features: Ignore spell failure 10%
Alignment: Chaotic good
Sorcerer Spells Known (5/6/6/6/4): 0-acid splash (+11 ranged touch), detect magic, disrupt undead (+11 ranged touch), electric jolt (+11 ranged touch), mage hand, ray of frost (+11 ranged touch), read magic. 1-lesser cold orb (+11 ranged touch), magic missile, ray of enfeeblement (+11 ranged touch), shocking grasp (+10 melee touch). 2-Melf’s acid arrow (+11 ranged touch), scorching ray (+11 ranged touch), touch of idiocy (+10 melee touch). 3-dispel magic, vampiric touch (+10 melee touch). 4-ice storm. *Caster level 9th.
Possessions: +1 arrow catching mithral heavy shield, +1 composite (+1 Str bonus) longbow, +1 keen longsword, +1 light fortification (25%) elven chain, 5 gold, 50 masterwork arrows, 6 silver, 67 platinum, backpack, boots of lavawalking (fire resistance 20), cloak of resistance +3, lesser maximize metamagic rod, magic sleeping bag, ring of protection +1, spell component pouch, trail ration (x3), traveler’s outfit, warpony (bit and bridle, riding saddle, saddlebags), waterskin

Adjustments for 11th level.
Battle Sorcerer 9*
Hit Dice: 10d8 plus 1d10 (54 hp)
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +8
Skills: Concentration +12, Knowledge (arcana) +13, Spellcraft +15
Sorcerer Spells Known (5/6/6/6/5/2): 0-detect poison. 5-Bigby’s interposing hand. *Caster level 10th.

Thanee

First Post
Heh. You certainly like combat spells there. :D Well, it's called battle sorcerer for a reason, I suppose. ;)

Besides, with 1 level of fighter and only 6 levels of sorcerer, you certainly qualify for both eldritch knight and spellsword. :p The bigger advantage is to actually have better hp/bab, not to be able to get into those PrC better (tho spellsword would be available at 6th level (1st/4th ->) already).

BTW, don't you get XP penalties for multiclassing? Or could you let the battle sorcerer count as a sorcerer for favored class?

Bye
Thanee

Tidus4444

First Post
Thanee said:
Note, that by a very strict reading of the spellpool rules (which I think should be done there), a sorcerer cannot make use of the spellpool, since they cannot "leave their slots open" as wizards can, not even with Arcane Preparation.

One could be lenient and say, that their regular slots are no different, but that is technically surely not the same, since their slots can be used while in this state, left open wizard slots normally cannot be used directly. So its not the same state the slots are in for sure.

Bye
Thanee

hmm? I had thought that preparing a blank slot for a sorcerer is no different than preparing one for the wizard. You effectively lose that slot, none of your own spells can be used. You can fill them up with Spellpool spells if you wish.

Nightingale 7

First Post
I think one of the greatest Sorc spells is Enervation.Think about it.Other than SR or Spell Turning there are precious few ways to stop it,and in a few hits you can have ANYTHING dead.What's more,those negative levels severely decrease the opponent's fighting capabilities,making it easier for the rest members of the team to keep him occupied while you suck him dry of levels.
Other favorites include:
Fly(I like to call this spell Protection from Enemy Barbarians)
Teleport(the Without Error is fore Wizards.You are a Sorc.Fail once?Cast it again!)
Limited Wish(the ultimate in Sorc versatility.The XP hit is not that much.)
Scorching Ray(of course!)

I am also unnaturally fond of Antimagic Ray.It's only useful against spellcasters,but at that high levels,most of your opponents are going to have SOME spellcasting ability,and that spell is a HUGE hit in power,and it is very difficult to avoid.No Saving Throw,no SR and once it's on it lasts a while.

brehobit

Explorer
Well, when it comes to flexiblity at higher levels, Exalted Arcanist is a wonderful prestige class (from BoED). You lose 1 spell casting level (but pick up two spells know, probably at the very useful 3rd level) and get access (at 5th level) to all sanctified spells (which are very very useful even if you won't be using them very often due to the sacrifices required). The feat requirements are also more than a bit annoying and the class doesn't really pay off too much until you hit 5th level. None-the-less, getting access to minor things like luminous armor and more helpful (if, as noted rarely used) things like diamond spray, sunmantle, valiant steed, Cry of Ysgard and Constricting Chains is way cool. Just be sure your strength isn't too low (10 may be too low, 8 I found certainly is due to the sacrifices)

For my character sentinel of Bharrai then made sense (but I had to stick a level of Mindbender in there to not lose another caster level but still get the needed ranks in Knowledge (nature). I also took Vow of Poverty at 1st level so the needed feats weren't a problem.

Nightingale 7

First Post
Antimagic Ray is a 7th level Wiz/Sor spell from Draconomicon.It is a ray spell,and if you nail an opponent,he can't access his spells and spell-like abilities for one round per level.Magical equipment,scrolls and the like can still be used.It doesn't have a saving throw.
That's it in a nutshell.

Thanee

First Post
Tidus4444 said:
hmm? I had thought that preparing a blank slot for a sorcerer is no different than preparing one for the wizard. You effectively lose that slot, none of your own spells can be used. You can fill them up with Spellpool spells if you wish.

No, that's the problem. Wizards do not prepare blank slots. But they can leave slots open (or blank) during preparation. I don't think a sorcerer with AP can do that.

A sorcerer with Arcane Preparation can prepare spells, which uses up spell slots. There's nothing, really, which hints at the ability to turn spell slots into the same state wizards have, when they have their spell slots refreshed but not yet any spells prepared into them. This state just isn't available (and makes no sense) for a sorcerer. But it's exactly this state, which is required for the spellpool to work.

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

zeo_evil

First Post
Thanee said:
Heh. You certainly like combat spells there. :D Well, it's called battle sorcerer for a reason, I suppose. ;)

Besides, with 1 level of fighter and only 6 levels of sorcerer, you certainly qualify for both eldritch knight and spellsword. :p The bigger advantage is to actually have better hp/bab, not to be able to get into those PrC better (tho spellsword would be available at 6th level (1st/4th ->) already).

BTW, don't you get XP penalties for multiclassing? Or could you let the battle sorcerer count as a sorcerer for favored class?

Bye
Thanee
Good point about the XP. I guess I thought a sorcerer is a sorcerer. Seems like the variants exist to simply to diversify the classes. Also, as a rule, I don't allow multiclassing in variants like no battle sorcerer/sorcerer for example. Good point, though. I took the spellsword level super early, but my party didn't want me to loose to many caster levels, so I am waiting until 11th caster level (when scorching ray caps out) to take more spellsword levels. The whole idea is to take spells that don't require saving throws to be effective. I have always found the fact that the sorcerer must trade cloak of Charisma for cloak of resistance to be lame. He gets the shaft in a way the other classes don't. Bar none.

Remove ads