ZEITGEIST Looking for a writer for a ZEITGEIST setting book

arkwright

Explorer
'Consultation' is as much as I had hoped for, honestly. I'd just like to contribute. Though I am free for the next few months...

I have made a thread to discuss this topic, so we stop clogging this thread.

Taylor Espy

The Red Menace
We’re finally going to make a hardcover ZEITGEIST setting book (and a stand alone WOIN-powered ZEITGEIST RPG).

For that we need a writer! This is a big job for the right person - a compilation of existing setting material throughout 13 adventures and two guides. This is, of course, a paid gig.

Are you reliable, familiar with ZEITGEIST and either 5E or WOIN? Ready to tackle a sizeable project? Let me know!
Hello Morrus,

I have been keeping my eye out for something like this, as I have grown quite fond to the ZEITGEIST setting since I first started running a game in it some three years ago. I would say that I am very familiar with the setting and tone, since I have gone on to run a second (smaller scale) game using the materials in these books, and using D&D 5e no less.

I have no knowledge of WOIN or its systems, however I have been running D&D 5e for long enough to become very proficient in its systems.

I am currently only working part-time so a sizable project should be perfectly fine for me currently.

Lhyonnaes

Villager
Morrus,

I'd be happy to throw my hat in the ring for this.

I am a longtime GM (10 years experience, in a variety of systems both published and homebrew) with detailed experience in the ZEITGEIST setting, from reading and analyzing the books at length and currently participating in a campaign on the player side. The vast majority of my GMing work has been in original settings, and I have long had a passion for lore and worldbuilding.

I am quite familiar with the specifics of 5E. I do not have experience with WOIN, but I have confidence in my ability to pick up new RPG systems in short order.

In other qualifications, I have a BA in History and in Computer Science, and am currently employed as a technical writer for developer-facing content in the software industry. I am thus well-accustomed to organizing and executing research and writing projects of significant scope.

And, well, it looks like a fun and interesting project for someone who's been recently considering getting their start in freelance RPG work.

arkwright

Explorer
Hi Morrus,

On reflection, I would like to present myself a touch more professionally.

In 2017 I graduated from the Australian National University with a double bachelor's degree in Information Technology (Information Systems major) and Laws. I feel this experience has given me a broad and valuable background in legal thought, in government policy, in systems design and in the roles of technology in any system.

I discovered TTRPGs in my first year at Uni, and have embraced them thoroughly- participating in and GMing a number of campaigns. Initially a Pathfinder GM, I have recently branched out into 4e. I have developed a focus on text-based campaigns, initially PBP and evolving into text-only campaigns conducted over Skype and Discord. The first independent setting I have written (donut steel) is rough, but I feel shows my potential as a writer.

Beginning in 3/3/2018, I have been running my own Zeitgeist campaign; text-based, 4e, beginning with three players now with two. Our IC channel consists of ~1,201,725 words and our side channels cumulatively are ~487,382 words. We are about 9/10ths through Book 12. In the campaign we have done our level best to plumb Zeit's depths for every plotline and every scrap of lore, partly thanks to my desire to be as 'by the book' as possible, partly thanks to my players' talent and dedication. I have worked to author additional materials (1, 2) for the campaign, including maps and art (1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11).

I am currently volunteering with an emergency relief charity with my region, and am active with my local university's philosophy group. In February I will be commencing a new position with the federal government.

Given my lack of professional writing experience or education, and my lack of experience with 5e and WOIN, I do not believe I would be capable of being 'in charge' of a project of this scale. However, I fell I could be an invaluable part of any 'writer's room' for the purposes of debating setting ideas, or as a writer for smaller parts of the overall work.

Best of luck with the project, Morrus, I hope I am fortunate enough to be chosen to be a part of it.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sorry to keep people waiting; I'm having the slowest conversation in the world with Ryan (by email), but I'll post some more info soon!

This listing for a setting book has come to my attention. From my reading of the product description, it seems that this will not be a sequel, but rather, a book for the setting as it is at the start of the adventure path. I can see that being a valid choice: a setting book for adventures in the world taking place alongside or instead of the grander scope of the adventure path.

Or is this a sequel regardless, with the product description simply being written so as to avoid spoilers for the adventure path?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
OK, folks, I have an update on this! Yep, still recruiting a writer. Here's the score!

Ryan Nock is writing about half the book. We're looking for a co-writer to write the other half. More specifically, we're talking about 45K words from the co-writer, who will be handling specific chapters.These are as follows:

1 -- overview and character creation (Ryan)
2 -- technology (Ryan)
3 -- setting rules (Ryan)
4 -- monsters (new writer); 30K words
5 -- setting run-through (new writer); 50K words
6 -- planets (new writer); 10K words
7 -- Flint (new writer); 15K words

8 -- adventure hooks (Ryan)
9 -- adventure (Ryan)

Note that a lot of it will be repackaged/compiled info from the existing AP, updated according to Ryan's guidelines in the initial chapter. You'd be able to talk to Ryan while working on it, but you'd also be able to put your own stamp on the setting to an extent.

This would be work-for-hire, paid at 3c/w, and would be to an early 2020 deadline.

I would be looking for:
  • A strong grasp on English writing and grammar (essential).
  • A strong grasp of 5E mechanics.
  • A strong grasp of 5E style guides (what gets italic, bold, when to use periods rather than colons, all that stuff).
  • A strong knowledge of the original ZEITGEIST AP.
What I would need

Drop me a PM. I don't need to see your resume, but I would like to see a writing sample. It can be anything you've done before, or you can do something new. It should be about 1,000 words.

I'd also like to see a 5E stat block of your own creation, so I know you have a mechanical handle on things. Again, you can either use one you've created previously, or a new one.

Here's a more detailed look at those four chapters, as described by Ryan:

Chapter Four is monsters, maybe some NPC stats, and magic items. The second writer needs to collate stuff from the 5E version of the AP, then write new material to fill in gaps.
---Expected Word Count: 30 pages with a fair bit of art, so 20,000 words, most of it would just be editing existing material.

Chapter Five is the full setting run-through. I imagine someone familiar with the AP could take the text from the original Player's Guide (which I have in the document for now), read through the AP, and note all the locations and historical bits. Then, they could write the chapter using my chapter one setting overview as a guideline (e.g., Risur has a new queen and there's a new fey titan replacing the Voice of Rot; Danor is coming out of civil war and is suppressing free speech to try to stick together; Crisillyir had a religious schism and is only NOT in civil war because Elfaivar invaded; etc.).
---Expected Word Count: 50,000 words (~15k is from the original AP, but has to be repackaged and edited thoroughly)

Chapter Six is about the planets. The second writer would talk about the nature of how planets affect magic, and give a page or two write-up of each planes for folks who want to do Edgar Rice Burroughs style extraplanar adventures. Paizo did something similar for Golarion's solar system, though I haven't done a ton of thinking about how ours would stand out.
---Expected Word Count: 10,000 words (1,000 is reused)

Chapter Seven is updating Flint and the Royal Homeland Constabulary, as an example of what a ZEITGEIST campaign could look like. Similar to chapter five, this would involve taking stuff from the original player's guide and the AP and extrapolating changes. I think it's a fairly light task: lots of "who's the new mayor in this district," "what sorts of thieves guild replaced Kell's," and "what sorts of problems is the RHC dealing with nowadays."
---Expected Word Count: 15,000 words (nearly all of which is reused, but has to be repackaged and edited thoroughly)

As you know, this is set AFTER the original AP. When you see Ryan's intro you'll have a much more solid handle on that, but we're going with a 'default' planar setup with a section on changing that if you've played the AP and chosen something different.

Last edited:

hirou

Explorer
We've just started a discussion in our group on the topic of our campaign speed... At current pacing it'll take us approximately 12 years to reach lvl30 (middle of Diaspora, but only reaching lvl17 due to some reordering), so release of setting book will definitely motivate me to speed up a bit.

EDIT: regardless of feasibility of continuing ZG story after the main campaign, just this table of contents looks extremely juicy to me. I always loved world-building in ZG (and/or world of WotBS), and gathering the info in one place is wonderful. I only only pray that this work will be thorough, as there are a lot of details that can fall through cracks...

Last edited:

Remove ads