• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for advice on a Boss Fight- Summoner

Donal Graeme

First Post
I am currently running a modified Kingmaker campaign in a homebrew world, and thus far most of the fights haven't been very challenging to my party. Given how easily my party has managed to overcome everything up to this point, I would like to present them with a real challenge. Already I have thrown one fight of my own creation against them, and it was more difficult, and I think more fun, for them than those included so far. My group is currently composed of 6 characters who are each level six, although not everyone always makes each session. We are at the end of Volume 2. Most everything is done except for some minor exploration and the final two significant events of that volume.

While a monster of a considerable danger level, like a dragon for example, is one idea, I wanted to try something different. Looking across my various books, I hit upon the idea of using a Summoner NPC as a kind of elite type boss. As an optional high-danger/high-reward fight, I think that a Summoner presents an excellent foe.

A Summoner plus his Eidolon presents a mixture of spell-casting and physical combat capability that should challenge any group mixture. After looking the class and its capabilities over, I finalized a design for both the Summoner and Eidolon that should challenge my party, though not necessarily destroy them. Below I am going to give a truncated version of the states for both.

Hezikial the Summoner CR9
Size/Type: male human CE summoner 10 HP: 60 (10d8+20) Initiative: +1 Senses: Perception +5 Speed: 30ft
Armor Class: 18 (+5 Armor, +1 Dex, +1 deflection, +1 dodge) touch 13, flat-footed 15 Saves: Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +8
Base Attack: +7/+2 CMB +6 CMD 16 Space/Reach: 5/5 Abilities: Str 8, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 19
Attack: mwk dagger +7 melee (1d4-1,19-20), Mwk Crossbow +9 ranged (1d8, 19-20)
SQ: Cantrips, Spells, Eidolon, Life Link, Summon Monster V
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) +14 , Linguistics +5, Spell craft +14, Use Magic Device +17 , Perception +5
Feats: Combat Casting, Scribe Scroll, Dodge, Craft Wondrous Item, Resilient Eidolon, Arcane Blast
Spells: ~/6/5/4/2, Save DC= 14+ spell level
Spells Known: 0- Read Magic, Detect Magic, Light, Arcane Mark, Acid Splash, Mage Hand 1- Shield, Feather Fall, Grease, Alarm, Lesser Rejuvenate Eidolon 2- Invisibility, Haste, Resist Energy, Barkskin, Protection from Arrows 3- Dimension Door, Aqueous Orb, Dispel Magic, Heroism 4- Hold Monster, Overland Flight
Gear= Mwk dagger, Mwk Light Crossbow, Ring of Protection +1, +1 Chain Shirt, Cloak of Resistance +1, Wand of Magic Missile (5th level, 6 charges), Wand of Grease (1st level, 19 charges) Potions of- Cure Serious Wounds, Lesser Restoration, Scroll of Protection from Arrows (2nd level), Scroll of Invisibility (2nd level)

Kormasski the Eidolon
Size/Type: Biped level 8 large Eidolon HP: 80 (8d10+40) Initiative: +2 Senses: Perception +9 DV 60 Speed: 30ft
Armor Class: 23 (+2 Dex, +12 natural, -1 Size) touch 11, flat-footed 19 Saves: Fort +10, Ref +6, Will +8
Base Attack: +8/+3 CMB +15 CMD 28 Space/Reach: 10/10
Abilities: Str 28, Dex 15, Con 20, Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 11
Attack: 2 claws +16 melee (1d6+9) or Morningstar +16 melee (2d6+9)
SQ: Life Link, Share Spells, Darkvision, Evasion, Devotion,
Skills: Perception +10, Sense Motive +10, Knowledge (planes) +10, Stealth +1, Survival +7, Climb +14, Use Magic Device +5
Feats: Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes
Evolutions (14): Claws, Limbs (arms), Limbs (legs), Large, Weapon Training, Ability Score Increase, Trample

My plan is to have the Summoner fly above the fray, casting buff spells on both himself and his Eidolon, using his wands to either disrupt casters or physical combatants. The Eidolon will target ranged attackers first, primarily those attacking his master.

I would love for some of the posters here to give their thoughts on my idea, including any questions behind my reasoning and any advice for me. Thanks a bunch.

P.S. At the moment the party is composed of a Monk, Paladin, Oracle (Life), Inquisitor, Witch and Sorcerer.

Dingo333

First Post
First, no wonder they are having it easy, a party of 6 with 3 very powerful classes (Inquisitor, Oracle and Sorcerer) and 3 powerful classes (Witch, Pally, and Monk). I recommend using the advanced template on all the encounters, might make it a little more fair.

Now, for the summoner

He has access to 4th level spells. Which means he can cast Evo Surge and Evo Surge Greater.

Drop Large Size and Ability Boost Con, 8 points back for you

Use Evo Surge to make him Large, a 3rd level spell is better in this case.

After Making him Large, G Evo Surge to make him have a Breath Weapon (8d6 DC 18)

Also, you can use summoning Spells while your eidolon is out, but not the spell like ability. It is a good plan to have him in flight (say 40 ft up) and summon a beastie or 2 from the air.

Your Eidolon can have 5 natural attacks, use them

One of my favorite ways to build an eidolon is a flying sphegetti monster.
Biped
Bite (1.5 str)
Tentacle x4
Improved Damage Tentacle
Reach Tentacle
Flight (Perfect)
Improved Damage Bite
Reach Bite
Pounce

This Uses 14 points and give 5 attacks with a 26 STR and 15ft Reach, not to mention the to hit is +16 bite/ +14 Tentacle (x4)

Damage is 3d6+12 Bite and 2d6 +4 Tentacle

Feats For Him
1 Toughness
2 Improved Natural Armor
3 Improved Natural Attack Tentacle
4 Improved Natural Attack Bite

In the end, it is your baddie, but this build should be slightly stronger then what you have and throw a good fight

Donal Graeme

First Post
Thanks for the ideas. The Eidolon idea of yours is brutal, I may go that route. I hadn't really considered Evolution Surge before, you definitely give it good case.

I didn't give the Summoner summoning spells because they took up spell lots he needed for buffs/utility, not to mention they are full round actions.

As for the composition of the party, the truth is that only a handful of times have they all been there. Half the time it has only been four of them, although not for the hardest encounters. I can tell you that the Paladin and the Inquisitor are the two most powerful of them, with the Monk somewhat behind. The Oracle mostly acts a healer, but is very, very good at the role. The Witch, and especially the Sorcerer aren't built well in my opinion, but hey, its their characters.

I appreciate the help. Its difficult to balance between a tough fight, and a brutal one, especially with my group, which has demonstrated a lack of clear thinking before.

RigaMortus2

First Post
Why Biped rather then Serpentine? With Serpentine form you can get Grab (Tentacle) and Constrict.

Improved Unarmed Strike (wasted feat, but need it)
Improved Grapple
Improved Natural Attack (tentacle)
Greater Grapple

Grab a couple PCs, fly up, drop them :)

Or fly up and constrict them to death. If they try to escape from your grapple, they'll fall (assuming they don't take fly or feather fall)

Glade Riven

Adventurer
It could turn into a good reoccuring villain, too: same Eideleon, different summoner. The summoner is really just a "host" for the Eideleon.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads