• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for advice on a caster build

genesaika

First Post
Hi, I am looking to make a caster type of character that focuses on using Time and Gravity magic. I am open to any suggestions really beyond that.

I have looked into the Oracle with Time mystery, but it seems a little lack luster and doesn't have much for Gravity magic.

Am i right in assuming that an arcane caster would be a better choice?

I will have access to any available books and possibly homebrew, but would rather not get too complicated with it.

Thank you for any help with this.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Sounds like someone's recently been playing some Final Fantasy.

Final Fantasy's style of spells don't have a very accurate partner in Pathfinder's style of spells.

After a quick search, it actually looks like the Summoner spell list would get you kind of what you're looking for the fastest. So to answer your question, yes, it's likely an Arcane caster is your better bet.

I don't know every amalgam of Final Fantasy equivalent spells to Pathfinder spells, but rest assured, Time Stop is one of the spells you get the latest in your character's career. Even Lesser Time stop is up there.

There is simply too much to explain about how spells work in Pathfinder. I'm sure there are better people who can try. :)

Mordikenn

First Post
I really like this character archetype as well (Which is one reason I main Syndra in League of Legends!), There aren't a whole lot of gravity spells in Pathfinder though. You may have to come up with a few of your own for lower levels, especially if you want them to be nukes similar to demi and quartr.

You could just try a few methods to convert those two to pathfinder directly, even though it might be very different from other things in the system. I'd estimate Demi at a level 3 single target spell that gave a fort save negates to avoid losing 1/2 remaining HP and Quartr at a level 6 spell that gave a fort save negates to avoid losing 3/4 remaining HP. You could make a 'mass' version of each spell at 2 or 3 levels higher that hit a 15' spread.

Alternatively you could turn them into nukes that dealt 1d6 damage/ level without a type (similar to disintegrate). It'd probably be a fort save for half damage at that point.

genesaika

First Post
The idea wasn't really from Final Fantasy, i haven't played one of those in years lol. I was reading over the spells and saw Reverse Gravity, Time Stop, Haste, and Slow. After finding them it seemed like a cool concept to make a caster based off of them.

I hunted around and found the Time Mystery Oracle, which wasn't bad, but still not right. So i asked here.

Maybe I will have to make it, I'll look into that.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
In that case, you'd really want to go digging to find spells that increase/decrease movement (Expeditious Retreat, Jump, Hold Person/Monster) and allow/deny actions (Daze, Sleep)... probably most anything in the Transmutation and Enchantment schools and flavor as you see fit.

radja

First Post
hmm... first thing that comes to mind for gravity spells are levitate, reverse gravity, water walk. for time, there are more options. hold spells, expeditious retreat, haste... and not to forget: many divination spells have a time component. True strike let's you see a moment into the future for instance. Many necromancy can also easily be explained as aging the target (temporarily, like ray of enfeeblement), or even aging the target beyond its lifespan (finger of death etc.).

gyor

Legend
There's a feat, Eldrich hertiage I believe, that allows you to gain sorc bloodline abilities. If you use that line of feats you can choose Arcane Bloodline. That will net you a familiar and if you advanced down the line, you can add sorc spells to your list of spells know. It has high charisma prequistes, but that's no problem for an Oracle. These feats are awesome for Oracles. Alternately you could look at the Haunted Curse, which I think grants telekenisis and antigravity as spells known. Plus cool flavour for a master of time, you could be haunted by those souls displaced by space and time.

MDK

First Post
For arcane spells, I haven't seen Floating Disc yet, and summoning earth/air elementals might also fit the concept.

Remove ads