• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for any non linear adventures

Crothian

First Post
I'm in search of non linear adventures for any RPG game. I'm not looking for something that is just site based and the characters can explore anywhere. But something that presents a plot or challenge and has several ways for the adventure to be accomplished and different outcomes. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!

Crothian

First Post
Maybe. It claims to do what I'm looking for but I don't know how successful it is at it. :D

Anyone else have something?

What type of scale are you looking for? A large campaign length mega adventure or a shorter "insert into a campaign " type. Some of the best adventures are simultaneously location and timeline based. Nothing says 'get off your rump and do something" like an adventure with a timeline that outlines what will happen if the PC's take no action or fail to succeed in time.

Crothian

First Post
ExploderWizard said:
What type of scale are you looking for? A large campaign length mega adventure or a shorter "insert into a campaign " type. Some of the best adventures are simultaneously location and timeline based. Nothing says 'get off your rump and do something" like an adventure with a timeline that outlines what will happen if the PC's take no action or fail to succeed in time.

The purpose of this is to show a friend who wants to see how adventures like this would work. So, it doesn't matter the system or really anything other then it shows a good non linear adventure.

balterkn

First Post
Ultimately there has to be some "sequencing of events" in an adventure, assuming the NPCs aren't static. If the NPCs were static, I think that would be a site based adventure.

L2 - Assassin's Knot (DnD 1E, TSR)

There is some information of when individuals will take certain actions. However, how the characters find the assassins, what they do about it - is all up to them. There is no "linear" part of the adventure really.

W1 - Conquest of the Bloodsworn Vale (DnD 3.5E, Paizo)

There is a calendar of events, but player decisions as to when and how to handle events impact their success greatly (they need to oversee the building of a road that is having many challenges). Even details of deciding to scout or not scout can have impacts (especially at different times in the plot, if the players are away for a major event).

W1 - Wizard's Challenge (DnD 2E, TSR)

There is a basic sequence of attacks, but the players actions can radically change the outcome (if you overlook a few heavy handed lines that say something like "just have this happen anyway, like when the PC goes to the bathroom"). Minimal adaption.

WOTBS (War of the Burning Sky) #3 - Shelter from the Storm (Dnd 3.5E ENWorld)

The main plot can be done linear. However, with the large number of side quests that obviously have impact and the hard schedule (so that doing all would be very difficult), player actions and choices (to do one thing but not another) have consequences.

N1 - Against the Cult of the Reptile God (DnD 1E, TSR)

While the cult lair is a dungeon dive - the town provides a fertile setting for non-linear nature (which events happen when are largely up to the DM and player reactions). The adventure doesn't describe how to support this style of play; the adventure seems to just assume the DM knows how to do non-linear play in the town setting.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. Most of my books are in storage as I move cross-country. If you need more than that, PM me and I'll be able to look into this more in a week or two.

Psion

Adventurer
Tales of the Infinite Staircase - 2e Planescape Adventure by Monte Cook

It's more an anthology than a single adventure. The players are tasked with stopping a fantastic creativity spreading sickness. The adventures can be played in any order and the players can achieve the objective in a variety of ways.

Remove ads