• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for assistance creating a backup character

Herzog

Adventurer
No, can't work outside the list, so several of the suggestions are simply out of the question.
@dannyalatraz : Nice! I'll give it some thought, although your suggestion has given me some inspiration on a slightly related track:

I suddenly realised this might be one of the few campaigns in which an Acrance Archer might be an option.
Normally, giving up caster progression is just a bad idea, but in this case, since I don not WANT anything beyond third level spells, it might just work.

Now all I have to do is come up with a good archer build and some good arcane spells to use with imbue arrow....
NB: since there already is a rogue in the party, I'd like to focus on medium to long range archery (so no precision damage)

Anyone?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
As I recall, most of the good arcane AoE evocations already have better range than an archer can muster, so you're probably best off looking at conjurations and illusions to imbue arrows.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I have to agree with the consensus - two warriors, a rogue/bard, two clerics (more or less) and a wizard... the core is covered.

I've always wanted to do a Bard/Warlock/Chameleon/Master of Masks. Never sat to crunch the numbers, tho I knew that Warlock needed to be at least 3 for that 2d6 blaster.

Warlock seems like a decent choice. Flavour to taste and pick up some slack...? With two invocations you can be an awesome face and a very physical character with buffs to six skills.

Last edited:

Teacher Man

Explorer
You could go with a scout, that skirmish ability is truly lethal with the right feats like many shot. Move 10 feet do 1d6 of damage plus the additional 4d6 damage, lather rinse repeat as needed.

Herzog

Adventurer
[MENTION=36150]Herobizkit[/MENTION] : Warlock does indeed sound like a decent choice, except: I just played a temporary character that was a warlock, and although for a single session I could play around with the extremely limited number of invocations he had, for a longer running character that is really going to bug me.
@BlackSeed_Vash : I will most probably be playing a half-elf. Although the Warlock/Rogue sounds interesting, I am currently focussing on medium to long range archery, so SA is less interesting to me.
@Teacher Man : many shot doesn't work with skirmish, you'd need Greater Manyshot for that (which is outside the allowed books). Also, skirmish is within 30', and I'm focussing on medium to long range archery....

Last edited:

Herzog

Adventurer
I'm currently considering a Fighter/Warmage/Arcane Archer.
Fighter 4 will allow me to get Weapon Specialization on the bow
The Warmage will allow me a relatively large set of spells (although I will probably be ignoring the imbue spell ability) and will let me qualify forAA, and for the Battle Caster Feat, allowing me to wear Medium Armor while casting.
The number of magic items in the campaign is limited, so the magic bonusses on arrows from AA will be more beneficial than in a regular campaign.

I'm not sure about the number of levels I will be taking in Warmage (before or even after qualifying for AA)
Any suggestions?
Also, anyone want to suggest an alternative into AA?

Greenfield

Adventurer
@Herobizkit : Warlock does indeed sound like a decent choice, except: I just played a temporary character that was a warlock, and although for a single session I could play around with the extremely limited number of invocations he had, for a longer running character that is really going to bug me.
@BlackSeed_Vash : I will most probably be playing a half-elf. Although the Warlock/Rogue sounds interesting, I am currently focussing on medium to long range archery, so SA is less interesting to me.
@Teacher Man : many shot doesn't work with skirmish, you'd need Greater Manyshot for that (which is outside the allowed books). Also, skirmish is within 30', and I'm focussing on medium to long range archery....

I'm going to make an odd suggestion, with regards to race: Look at a template, such as Half-Satyr, rather than Half Elf. The trade offs can be similar, but there's an odd and little considered advantage: Adding a template to a Human lets them keep the bonus feats and skills from their Human base. Half-Elf, on the other hand, is considered a race in its own right, and doesn't get those human advantages.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Here's a thought: go Fighter/WarMage/Green Star Adept before going Arcane Archer. Flavorful, interesting abilities, slow spellcasting progression alongside decent BAB progression.

As for templates, I think its a good idea- the Winged template would be perfect- but unless I am mistaken, most of the templates lie outside the OP's permitted sourcebooks.

Remove ads