• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for chase rules

gunter uxbridge

First Post
I have done some looking, but I was wondering if anyone had some good rules for running a chase on horseback, or one involving a horse drawn cart. How do you handle the relative speeds of the PCs vs the NPCs, closing distance, etc. If anyone can point me in the direction of some established rules or give me some pointers, I would appreciate it.

CombatWombat51

First Post
Darklone said:
Only houserules if you want chases between equally fast dudes. Con checks for the horses though.

Here's my houserules on it. It works similar to the 'active defense' optional rule, where instead of using the creature's armor class, they roll a d20 and add part of their AC. But this, of course, uses Speed, not AC.

Escape and Pursuit

A character make a Run check as a full round action. A Run check is 1d20 plus your Strength modifier plus your Speed - 10. The amount of distance you cover with a Run check is equal to your result multiplied by four in feet. You can make half a Run check as a move action, and the distance you cover is your result multiplied by two.
A character can run for a number of rounds equal to his Constitution score. After that, he must make a Constitution check each round (DC 10 + number of rounds past Constitution). On a failed check, the character only make a Run check as a full round action and is fatigued for 5 rounds. If the character fails two Constitution checks in a row, he can’t make a Run check until he stops being fatigued.
To successfully chase a character, you must be able to see who you’re chasing. Each round, you must make a Spot check (DC = 1 per 10 feet of distance plus any size modifiers).

Chasing Options
The escapee has several options, in addition to normal actions, to deter his pursuer:

Distraction: A character in a threatened area can make a Bluff check as a free action to distract his enemy so that he can get a head start. If he succeeds at a Bluff check opposed by his opponent’s Sense Motive, he can immediately make a Run check, doesn‘t suffer an attack of opportunity from that opponent, and his opponent is limited to only making half a Run check on his next action.
You can try this as often as you like, but your opponent will grow wary of your tricks. Each time after the first time per encounter, your opponent gets a cumulative +5 bonus to his Sense Motive check.

Hide: If the escapee has sufficient cover or concealment, he can make a normal Hide check opposed to the pursuer’s Spot check. If the escapee succeeds, the chase is over. Whether or not he succeeds, he doesn’t get a Run check.

Hazard: The escapee may attempt to use a hazard to his advantage. He can make a Spot check as a free action to find something to use as a hazard. The DC of the Spot check depends on the terrain, and is set by the DM (a cluttered ally is DC 10, a narrow street is DC 15, a large open street is DC 20, a barren field is DC 40, etc. The more things that there are in an area, the more likely it is that the escapee can find something to use to his advantage). If the escapee succeeds at a Spot check, he locates something that he can use to create a hazard for his pursuer.
To create the hazard, the escapee makes a check (DC 10) as a standard action. The type of check depends on the nature of the hazard. The escapee may take a voluntary penalty on his check. He suffers this penalty on his Run check as well. The penalty can’t be greater than half his Speed plus half his Strength modifier.
To overcome a hazard, the pursuer must make a check with a DC of 15 plus the voluntary penalty that the escapee took on his check. If the pursuer fails his check, he doesn’t get to make a Run check this round. Certain hazards can be overcome without a check, such as jumping from a roof. Anyone can jump off a roof, but they’ll suffer damage.

- Hurdle Jump check
- Debris in path Balance check
- Obstacle in path Jump check
- Wall Climb check
- Water Swim check
- Narrow ledge Balance check
- Jumping down Jump or Tumble check

Remove ads