• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for D&D Modern Resources

DiamondB

Explorer
Supporter
First and foremost, I am not mistaking this for d20 Modern, I know what I'm looking for (I have all the d20 Modern stuff) and this isn't it.

Now to explain. The homebrew I use, Terra Viejo, is a world very similar to our own. Human history evolved much like that of Earth's, i.e. the Roman Empire, Middle Ages, etc. However, humans aren't the only ones living on Terra Viejo, they share the planet with all your standard fantasy elements, including arcane and divine magic, though more limited (by feat requirements) than your typical D&D world. While typically my campaigns have taken place in the relatively familiar Middle Ages Europe, I have now branched out to other time periods, though so far all within the realms of human history.

I am prepping a PbP campaign (to follow my PbP ancient Mesopotamia "Age of Worms") using the Incursion material from Dragon 309 (and whatever Dungeon that coincided with it). However I intend to have the incursion take place in "Modern Terra" which means that along with all the modern bits of "real life" I have to take into account the impacts of relatively common magic.

I know I could use d20 Modern, though I prefer the D&D rules, since I can use one set of rules across all time periods without much disruption. I am using my d20 Modern material as resources, since much of it converts easily enough. Classes don't move over well, but I'm considering using the Generic Classes option out of Unearthed Arcana to overcome that minor obstacle. What I'm looking for is any resources that may take into consideration using D&D in a more modern period. I'd also love to hear some thoughts on campaign development by those who have run Modern campaigns, as the typical "loot dungeon" concept doesn't really work so well.

If there's any interest I'll post my campaign thoughts as inspiration to be used by others.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
I can't help with the technical issues, though you seem to be well on your way to mastering those. You mentioned a call for Modern DMs to grant some input on how they've done things.

I've been running an online d20 Modern semi- Agents of PSI campaign for about two years straight. I've had a good bit of success so far, though I've unfortunately lost players to new jobs and similar real life issues.
Basically, the PCs work for a private counter terrorism corporation. They have limited legal powers within client countries, so they get to investigate various unusual cases that may have a link to terrorist activities or they investigate as a favor to another law enforcement agency. This company principally deals with psionic terrorism (Battle Mind serial killers, monsters of the id, the discovery of 33 dead psychics and 80 dead mundanes in a shipping container, as well as monitoring the various other psionic organizations), though the mundane variety is occaisionally encountered. The structure of adventures and story arcs is a series of cases that the party is assigned to. These cases are usually event based, with a sense of time pressure without actually having any sort of time limit. It's been very successful so far.

Remove ads