• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for feedback on custom item idea: Axe of Alteration

Kalendraf

Explorer
I'm in the process of developing a custom magic item for my campaign, and I'm looking for some feedback. The working name I'm using is "Axe of Alteration". This particular example once belonged to a powerful orcish champion who's conquests are legendary. He was well-known for using a mixture of axe-type weapons in battle. What isn't so well-known is that he had just one weapon, but it had the ability to shift form. Here's the basics so far:

Axe of Alteration - By spending a move equivalent action, the wielder of this weapon may alter it's form into any of the following weapons:

+2 Keen Greataxe
+2 Vicious Battleaxe
+3 Hand Axe
+1 Distance & Returning Throwing Axe
+1 Shock / +1 Thundering Orc Doubleaxe

I'm trying to figure out the approximate cost of the item. Each of the individual items would cost the equivalent of a +3 magic item (or slightly less in the case of the orc doubleaxe version) or roughly 18K. I'm not sure how much the "alteration" ability should be priced at. My first guess is that it probably adds about +1 to the overall cost of any of it's versions, making it about 32K. Does that sound about right?

Any other feedback or suggestions are appreciated.

Crothian

First Post
Way more then +1. This is a very versatile weapon. I'd actually include a non magic form that doesn't detect as magic, but that's just me. As to the cost, personally I'd just make it an artifact and not worry about the cost.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Crothian said:
Way more then +1. This is a very versatile weapon. I'd actually include a non magic form that doesn't detect as magic, but that's just me. As to the cost, personally I'd just make it an artifact and not worry about the cost.

I think that in underdark there's the morphing and sizing enchantments, which allow you to turn a weapon into (basically) any weapon as a standard action. Each is (IIRC) a +1 enchantment.

The ability to swap the enchantments around, however, is significantly more powerful.

The ability to do it as a move action is even more powerful.

My suggestion would be to just price each item individually, halve the price of all but the most expensive form and add them all together. You'll end with a price of around 54,000gp.

Kalendraf

Explorer
It is versatile and saves on the weight carried by the character. However, it isn't nearly as good as having the 5 individual weapons would. At anyone time, this weapon can only be in one form being wielded by one person. If the weapon takes damage or gets destroyed, the other forms aren't there for back-up options either.

It will be a lesser artifact, but I'd still like to get an idea of what it might be priced for comparison purposes. I originally considered having each alternate form be an extra +1, but then this turned into a +8 equivalent and the resulting price of 128K was more than the 5 individual weapon would be (4 x 18K + 16K = 88K).

What about the alteration ability being a +2 equivalent? That would make the overall weapon cost be 50K. If it costs much more than that, then most characters would likely opt for just buying the few individual versions of the weapons they actually want and can use, giving them the luxury of them being available as back-ups or loaners as needed.

Kalendraf

Explorer
Saeviomagy said:
My suggestion would be to just price each item individually, halve the price of all but the most expensive form and add them all together. You'll end with a price of around 54,000gp.

That price is in the ballpark of what I am considering. I didn't use the same method of getting there, but your method makes sense to me. Thanks!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads