Looking for feedback on software I plan to develop for battlemap creators

heruca

Explorer
I plan to develop cross-platform commercial software for Mac & Windows PCs that will create batches of custom geomorphic tiles for use in creating top-down battlemaps for tabletop RPGs. I'm calling the program TileForge.

The tiles that TileForge generates can later be used in your favorite image editor (Photoshop, Gimp, etc), dedicated map-making app, or even in a virtual tabletop app (e.g. Roll20, Foundry, Fantasy Grounds, etc.), to quickly assemble custom map layouts from the modular assets.

Creating geomorphic mapping tiles can be a tedious and labor-intensive process. TileForge will automate that process. Simply choose a few textures (you'll be able to drag-and-drop texture images right onto the app), and the software will apply the necessary shape masks, drop shadows, bevels and other effects, and create an entire set of geomorphic map tiles using those textures.

The program will create tiles for straight sections, turns, three-way and four-way intersections, dead ends, etc, and even variants of the aforementioned tiles, all at the push of a button.

Here are some examples of what the output would look like...

dd3f0bb5c08cae6648141ac73faa5ac8_original.PNG

4686cd7af94f45de864ba92c063ad2d4_original.PNG

c576fdb4d646c23d7d66b2628a769c33_original.PNG

b014d4d4e6de260f6beb08d18f7f36b9_original.PNG

Depending on the textures you use, you can make tilesets for a variety of genres (Fantasy, Modern Day, Sci-Fi, Post-Apocalypse, etc.)

I don't have a prototype made yet, but I've created mockups of many of the program's screens, to illustrate how it will work. If this project sounds interesting, click here to download all of the user interface mockups in high resolution, to peruse at your leisure (12 MB).

I'm looking for constructive feedback from folks who would consider using such software, as well as gather feature ideas that would build on the core functionality. Does this sound like something you would want to use? Do you think there is a significant market for this sort of app?

FYI: For now, this app will be strictly for top-down mapping, but later on, there's potential for expansion to cover things like hexagonal and isometric tilesets.

heruca

Explorer
Here's another mockup screen I made recently. It shows how you'll be able to customize your tile layouts to suit your exact needs.

If you find yourself in need of a layout that isn't already pre-configured in the app, no problem. Creating custom tile layouts will be a snap.

Edit_Tile_Layout_Mockup_screen.png

It's not a final design, as I'm certain there will be changes (for example, I haven't had a chance to put in the curved walls, yet).

heruca

Explorer
If anyone's interested in this app, try searching for "TileForge" (one word) on the most popular crowdfunding site. But it would have to be in the next 24 hours.

heruca

Explorer
The above app got made, and I'm happy to say that it turned out pretty great. It's now available for download from here, if anyone wants to take it for a spin, and is available for purchase by anyone who missed out on the crowdfunding campaign.
To learn all about the app, start here.

Remove ads