• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for game suggestions

the_cowley

Explorer
So one filmed I loved so much i destroyed the tape by playing it to often, was Disney's Treasure Planet. With the rise in, or at least me now much more actively looking at, smaller and more out there systems; I find my self wanting to have a system i can draw on to play it. So I guess im looking for a type of steampunky system with or with out magic, that captures that same feeling of being like 70 %victorian feel, with 30% weird science and/or magic. Any one got anything?

Also, who else loved this film!!!

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I would go with Fate to Fate Accelerated. They handle narrative story elements well and don't get into crunchy or tactical minutiae that would be out of sync with how the story and combats are demonstrated in the film.

Space 1889 is an RPG that springs to mind. Victorious is another one, though I think it’s not as strong on the space part.

And finally, if you wanted to stick with D&D, there’s the old Spelljammer setting. When I first saw Treasure Planet, I thought it felt a whole lot like the closest thing we’ll see to a Spelljammer movie!

Tony Vargas

Legend
. So I guess im looking for a type of steampunky system with or with out magic, that captures that same feeling of being like 70 %victorian feel, with 30% weird science and/or magic. Any one got anything?
The original steampunk-with-magic game, before steampunk was really a thing, was Castle Falkenstein.

A system purpose-build for Steampunk is 'Victoriana.' I've run 'Airship Pirates,' a licensed game which purports to use the same system, and it was a fun game, but an awful core system, AFAICT. I've seen D&D (4e, but you could use 3.5/PF, 13A, or any d20, really) re-skinned to do Steampunk.

Games/systems like FATE, Hero, Savage Worlds, Powered b/t Apocalypse, Gumshoe, and the like can be adapted to almost anything.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Check out Fate: Aether Sea, its very much along those lines, right out of the box. Its also PWYW ($4.00) on drivethrurpg, I'm not sure if your need the Fate Accelerated or Fate Core book too, but that's only PWYW ($5.00). You'll probably also want Fate Dice, but they are gorgeous and worth adding to any serious dice-collector's bag :). Fate is a slightly different beast than D&D or other traditional rpgs, but its not some wild experimental game, either. I like it a lot, and find it pretty easy to run, for the most part. Plus the price is right. (Also, a very good Google Plus community for any questions you have.)

I've played Savage Worlds...it seems like an odd version of 3e D&D with funky dice rolling methods. It kinda looks like you might need to buy at least two settings books to mash up into a Treasure Planet game, and I'm not sure they're both available. (Maybe a more Savage person here might know better.)

I'm not really all that clear from your post what kind of game/rules experience you're looking for. Like, are you interested in a game that's fairly sloppy on tactics but fast on the story...go with Fate. However, if you are looking for a detailed tactical system with squares and lists of weapons and guns and ships and...then maybe take a look at Savage Worlds or one of the other traditional rpg systems already mentioned. If you don't care about traditional rpg structure at all and just want to roll into story...maybe try Uncharted Worlds, which runs on the Apocalypse World Engine. (You'd have to adapt that, because its space opera...but honestly maybe not that much of a stretch.) Could you give some more insight into what kind of game (forgetting the Treasure Planet trappings) that you'd like to see at the table.

the_cowley

Explorer
Really treasure planet is just the visuals I'm trying to capture. Any steampunk genre rpg will probably work but I hardly have played anything but dnd and pathfinder. I like solid systems that give player choice..so really any system that allows a fair amount of character customization is good for me. I would prefer more clear cut/detailed system then something like gurps that the gm has to compile all the rules and options before hand

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Really treasure planet is just the visuals I'm trying to capture. Any steampunk genre rpg will probably work but I hardly have played anything but dnd and pathfinder. I like solid systems that give player choice..so really any system that allows a fair amount of character customization is good for me. I would prefer more clear cut/detailed system then something like gurps that the gm has to compile all the rules and options before hand
Sounds like Aether Sea might work for you. Although I can't vouch for the art.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using EN World mobile app

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
whats the difference between fate core and accelerated?

If memory serves, in Accelerated you have fewer aspects (maybe just three), one stress pool rather than physical and mental ones, and instead of skills you have six approaches (flashy, forceful, sneaky, careful, clever, and quick) that are rolled based on how you're doing your task, not what task you're doing. Some other elements like weapon damage and armor aren't in Accelerated but in some cases we've added them back in and it plays fine. All in all though Accelerated plays very similarly to Fate Core.

Remove ads