• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for Game System Recommendations

Fractalpony

First Post
Hi Enworlders,

My favorite part of this hobby is crafting interesting combats for my players, however, I find D&D overly complex and slow moving.

I have enjoyed playing D&D 3.5 and 4, but am looking for something simpler. I am looking for a "rules light" game that does tactical combat well.

I'm excited to try 5e, but would like to hear what else people recommend.

Thank you.

Rhone1

First Post
Well, short of waiting for D&D Next you could give Castles & Crusades (sort of a 1st edition D&D with the D20 system thrown in) or Swords & Wizardry (oe of D&D) a try. Both are rules light, have the old school feel and have lots of material already made for the game.

dm4hire

Explorer
"Rules light" and "Tactical Combat" tend to not be used in the same game to the best result. Either you want rules light or tactical combat, because usually to get the latter you need more rules than what the former offers.

Are you wanting to stay close to the d20 platform or are your players willing to jump ship to a new system to get this result?

dm4hire

Explorer
Cortex +, Fate, and Savage Worlds are all decent systems that are light enough to allow you to add the tactical aspect without much bog down since you will be doing it yourself. Reason early D&D was good was because the rules light nature was more the group made up the extra rules. You can do that with these systems.

There are a few hacks for each of them that offer optional rules that touch the tactical option as well as making fantasy work.

Numenera is great on its own if you want to keep it light and go with the futuristic sci-fantasy feel it has or there is a hack that covers the traditional fantasy feel for it.

True20 is very light fantasy that can be turned into tactical. Dragon Age is also good for light with tactical.

There are other systems or clones as well.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
My favorite part of this hobby is crafting interesting combats for my players, however, I find D&D overly complex and slow moving.

I have enjoyed playing D&D 3.5 and 4, but am looking for something simpler. I am looking for a "rules light" game that does tactical combat well.

That's a bit of a tough request, usually the two are usually seen as incompatible, and I'm not very clear on what you mean by handling tactical combat "well". The crux of the issue, I think, is how it is your group prefers to experience that tactical depth.

My first thought is for either Fate or Cortex+ a la MHRP. They do not come with a whole lotta pre-defined tactical rules, but during play the characters can use maneuvers on their turn to create advantages that can be used for bonuses (like off-balance, sand in its eyes, or in my sights). Both systems would let the GM define advantages within the battlefield before the scene play. Since those advantages are wide-open narratively, this can actually make combat a very detailed tactical experience in the narrative realm. Unfortunately, since this all happens on a narrative/ToTM level and not at a rules/piece on the table level, many tactical-minded players will find dissatisfying. (But then you're asking for tactical & rules lite, so who knows...) Fate is genre-less by default, but MHRP is focused on Supers (i.e. you'd need to work out how to use Cortex+ in fantasy.) However, I know that a few other people have already run versions of MHRP in fantasy, and their work is available on the web somewhere. Both of these systems would favor players who are more creative at the table rather than those who are masters of a particular rules-set.

Now that I've mentioned Fate, I should mention Savage Worlds. It seems to be a law of ENWorld that any thread posing a "what system would be good for" question must include both of those as answers. :) I don't have a whole heaping ton of experience with SW, but what I did have went fast. No, really, like so fast the group couldn't believe it. I wouldn't say that its particularly more tactical than some older/simpler editions of D&D (at least, it didn't feel very tactical), but dang it moves like the wind. I can't say that I thought there was a ton of room in SW for a lot of deep tactical thinking, more of a move and shoot feel. There's a relatively small number of basic tactical moves here, and there's a plethora of "edges" for characters to take which can affect those, IIRC. However, if that's enough to trip your switches...

Most of the other systems I can think of don't really impress me as very rules light (and I'm not sure I'd call Savage Worlds that, either.) At least, I'm presuming you want some kind of tactical experience beyond Old-School D&D, but not as burdened with fiddly bits as 3e or 4e. I hope that helps.

innerdude

Legend
Hi Enworlders,

I'm excited to try 5e, but would like to hear what else people recommend.

Thank you.

Rules light + good tactical combat? The choices here are pretty thin . . . .

My own personal preference would be to point you to Savage Worlds, since it's pretty much my favorite system these days, and meets both of your criteria fantastically. It's fast-moving with a "not too much, not too little" approach to character building and tactical options. Highly recommend it.

Have you thought about maybe trying D6 Fantasy? It's the same core system as the old West End Star Wars RPG. You can pick up the PDF at DriveThruRPG for the price of FREE too, as I recall.

True20 might also fit the bill, as well as Dragon Age. The 4th edition crowd seems very partial to 13th Age too, as an alternative to 4e that still follows much of the system's conventions. Heck you might even be served simply by going back to bog-standard D&D 3.0 with NO splatbooks allowed.

Other than Savage Worlds, though, D&D Next might be the best option of all, since the system's going to be released this year, and if your group has any interest in it, might be a good time to start digging in to it.

If you're wanting to get more "out of the box" answers to this question, frankly I might ask the same question over at rpg.net. The crowd over there is a little more into the "esoterica" of RPGs, and might have options you won't see here.

RetroGameView

First Post
I haven't tried this myself as these days I tend to go for rules light all the way around, but I suppose you could play GURPS and use its most basic systems for everything, then use its advanced combat for combat. That should be similar to using a light RPG for the game part, then switching to a basic miniatures game for the combat part.

Remove ads