• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for help with motivations of an evil party

ChimericDream

First Post
I'm getting ready to start a new campaign where the party are all mooks (will most likely wind up as leaders) of an evil organization. I have some of the hidden motives already figured out for the current leaders, but I'm having trouble coming up with ideas on different "errands" and whatnot that the party can be sent out on.

This is my first time actually running an evil party, and it should prove interesting. I'm just having a bit of trouble figuring out exactly what sort of motivations and options I should give them.

Crust

First Post
If you're starting at 1st level, they might...

-steal something for a local merchant, etc.

-tail someone and observe them for some reason or another.

-act as guards for their temple, protecting a treasured artifact as it travels from point A to B.

-clean out a basement full of dire rats. ;)

-weed out a traitor in their midst.

-journey into the hills in search of a rare root/flower/mushroom needed for some dark rite (or some cure).

-clean out a cave full of goblins/kobolds/xvarts/diseased gibberlings.

-murder some rival merchant/noble/priest at the behest of their lord or as part of a contract.

ChimericDream

First Post
Definitely some good ideas in there. I guess I should have specified that the party is starting at ECL 10. There are a couple of LA +1-2 characters in there (that I know of). Still waiting on a couple players to email me their sheets.

Other ideas?

painandgreed

First Post
Kill things and take their stuff. Any quest that a good party would take probably has enough loot to tempt evil parties too, especially if they're sure not to be held accountable for their actions doing so. Indeed, the usual motive I see for players wanting to play in an evil group is to maximize profit, usually by not having to be forced into stupid quests simply because they're "good". Use the same adventures you'd use for good for the most part, but instead of appealing to their sence of the greater good, offer them money or simply present the target as a rich target that nobody will miss.

For example, instead of presenting the players with the senario of: "Slavers have camptured our townfolk, won't you return them to us so our families can be whole again." Give them: "It's common knowledge that slavers in the mountains have grown fat and rich raiding the surrounding area. In their stronghold they have collected all the loot from the surrounding farmlands. Also, if somebody were to free their slaves, the local townspeople while not having much but would be grateful enough to side with those who did it in the future rather than the local nobility who have done nothing."

Particle_Man

Explorer
Well if their leaders in the organization are powerful, you could simply say "We order you to do this and if you don't do it we will kill you." I mean, it is an evil organization, so they don't have to play nice with the PCs if the PCs don't toe the line.

shilsen

Adventurer
Do you have your players create detailed backgrounds for their characters? I do, and I think that would make even more sense in this case since they are starting at a high level. If so, a couple of questions you can ask them to cover in the background is what their particular aims and motivations are and why they are working with the other PCs. Just that information should give you a lot of material for plot hooks, esp. ones the PCs will be interested in following.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Make them do the work.

"So, why are you (point to one of them) working with this (point to different one) evil SOB?" And so on, for each of them. Make sure each one has a strong connection to at least one of the others, and make them think this stuff up themselves.

Cheers, -- N

wolfpunk

First Post
Kidnapping for ransom is always a good one. Especially when the plan goes wrong.

Evade, embarass, defeat a rival evil organization.

Evil parties can have the same motivations as good parties, they just happen to believe their way is the right way regardless of moral, legal, or ethical standings, and they worry less about the consequences of their actions.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Here's an excellent read from the d20 Modern website:

Crime in Your Campaign
Crime in Your Campaign II
The Criminal Mind

Personally, I would take a fantasy version of the lessons from the popular video game series Grand Theft Auto, especially the GTA:San Andreas, which has examples of gang warfare as well as mob/organized crime connections.

If these Evil SOB's are starting off ECL 10, you have to consider that they are already movers and shakers in any civilization, and proably some of the highest-level characters in the organization itself. Given that, they would need a very strong reason to remain part of any organized circuit; anything from as simple as family (and making them all from the same family ala The Sopranos would be a good idea) to as elaborate as serving under a Dragon and maintaining its cover (or else). Mook-work just isn't in the cards for ECL 10's... these will undoubtedly be the Right-Hand Men or even an elite unit reserved for "special jobs".

rgard

Adventurer
Some thoughts:

1. Send them on a quest to find the Necronomicon for their bosses. I'd use the D20 CoC rules for spells as an add on.

2. Kidnap the elf princess to be delivered to the BBEG's best friend red dragon...Dominos delivers!

3. Send them to take out a splinter organization. The splinter group struck out on their own and the BBEG's monthly revenue dropped. The PCs, if successful, get to run the revenue producing enterprise.

4. Have the PCs establish a base of operations in a nearby town where the BBEG has no influence. The PCs get to battle the local crime lord and the city's good folks.

5. Have the PCs be sent to get dirt on all the local politicians and leadership of the realm. Then blackmail them.

Thanks,
Rich

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads