• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Looking for help with pets.

Jacob Vardy

Explorer
One of my tables is all newbies to RPGs. Young adults having great fun riffing off the YA Rangers' Apprentice series. But that means we have three archers and a warlock. And we've just had our second permanent player death. I joke about being a killer DM, but i don't actually try to do it. Part of it is player tactical inexperience. But no meat shield really hurts them.

So replacing the second dead character will be a beast master ranger. So i'm looking for a pet that will keep enemies away from the PCs. A lot of creatures knock enemies prone, which isn't much help with a party of ranged attackers. I had a look for something like the o5e sentinel feat in the combat maneuvers, feats, and beasts' features. But i couldn't find anything. I thought maybe a fear effect but that doesn't feel like it fits. So i think i am going to re-skin a panther as a cheetah, able to grapple like a giant weasel rather than knock prone.

But is there some cool little mechanic that i am missing? That would allow a CR1/4 creature to hold multiple enemies in place? I am a lot less confident about a5e than o5e, so any advice would be appreciated.

So I've never been a fan of animal companions (ACs) in 5e and use some 3rd party feats to make them more viable. There's really not a good option for multi enemy lockdown. I find that ACs with either really good damage output or the ability to grapple/paralyze targets are better since they can lockdown enemies better. That said here's a couple of options that have abilities that can hinder foes.

Giant Centipede - OK the HPs (9) on this suck, but it has a decent AC and a high damage poison (3d6 on a failed save) that can paralyze.

Giant Crab - Another low HP (9) creature with a high AC (15) that has a grapple rider on it's attacks. Only a CR 1/8 so a bit lower than most picks.

Giant Frog - Decent AC (11) and great HP (18) the frog also has a grapple/swallow if small rider on it's attack and is very mobile.

Giant Poisonous Snake - A bit more HP (11) than the centipede and the poison is weaker (2d6), but the damage is still good and the poison can kill.

Giant Wolf Spider - This is one of my faves tbh. Decent AC (13) and HP (13) with a decent poison (2d4) rider on the bite that can paralyze. Being medium means small characters can ride it too.

Also I generally try and make "barding" as affordable and accessible as possible for those with ACs and let the player roll the creature's HP.

VenerableBede

Adventurer
5e and A5e aren't really designed to make animal companions that tanky, or particularly good a shutting down multiple enemies. They tend to have low AC and middling-low HP, although A5e makes up for this to an extent by giving them a regularly recharging pool of temporary hit points so they can go all day. Animal companions tend to be skirmishers and strikers.

Jacob Vardy

Explorer
So I've never been a fan of animal companions (ACs) in 5e and use some 3rd party feats to make them more viable. There's really not a good option for multi enemy lockdown. I find that ACs with either really good damage output or the ability to grapple/paralyze targets are better since they can lockdown enemies better. That said here's a couple of options that have abilities that can hinder foes.

Giant Centipede - OK the HPs (9) on this suck, but it has a decent AC and a high damage poison (3d6 on a failed save) that can paralyze.

Giant Crab - Another low HP (9) creature with a high AC (15) that has a grapple rider on it's attacks. Only a CR 1/8 so a bit lower than most picks.

Giant Frog - Decent AC (11) and great HP (18) the frog also has a grapple/swallow if small rider on it's attack and is very mobile.

Giant Poisonous Snake - A bit more HP (11) than the centipede and the poison is weaker (2d6), but the damage is still good and the poison can kill.

Giant Wolf Spider - This is one of my faves tbh. Decent AC (13) and HP (13) with a decent poison (2d4) rider on the bite that can paralyze. Being medium means small characters can ride it too.

Also I generally try and make "barding" as affordable and accessible as possible for those with ACs and let the player roll the creature's HP.
Thank you. I did not think of paralyzing poisons.
The barding should be easy. The setting is half animist, There are angels / loa / small gods / spirits locii everywhere. The barding comes with the pet in exchange for a mission.

Remove ads