• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for opinions on Xcrawl

kingpaul

First Post
BluWolf said:
Is the basic book sufficient? I am thinking of picking it up to run a once a month game. To little time try and run an immersive style campaign and I am thinking the campiness of this premise would fit the bill sufficiently.
Well, as its a d20 book, you should have the core 3 (PHB, DMG and MM) as well. But other than that, yes, the main book is sufficient.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
I liked the setting a lot, and it was mostly because of it flexibility.

Honestly--as written--Xcrawl can be pretty much and bleak or as hopeful, as funny or as serious, as detailed or as "Beer and Pretzels" as you like. There is room for a lot of playstyle variety in there.

The only problem I've had with it is that it pretty much requires prepared modules (for the "Crawls" themselves)...and as a rule I'm not a huge fan of modules.

The game I played in (all too briefly) was based on the cliches of Pro Wrestling. 4 of the five guys playing were ex-wrestling journalists, so it made for some pretty great play.

kingpaul

First Post
Teflon Billy said:
The only problem I've had with it is that it pretty much requires prepared modules (for the "Crawls" themselves)...and as a rule I'm not a huge fan of modules.
Well, yes, you do need to have prepared dungeons to run in. Whether you build them yourself or buy them.

Remove ads