• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for setting: Dragon lair in underground city.

afetbinttuzani

First Post
Hi, all.
I'm wondering if you can help me to find a needle in the immense haystack that is all D&D materials ever published.

My Level 8 PCs may be heading underground and I'd like to challenge them with a black dragon's lair in an abandoned underground dwarven city. I'd rather adapt than start from scratch. I don't expect to find exactly what I'm looking for in terms of level or setting, but something relatively close would be good. I'll adapt from any edition.

Ideas or suggestions?

Cheers,
Afet

Last edited:

Vanye

Explorer
Hi, all.
I'm wondering if you can help me to find a needle in the immense haystack that is all D&D materials ever published.

My Level 8 PCs may be heading underground and I'd like to challenge them with a black dragon's lair in an abandoned underground dwarven city. I'd rather adapt than start from scratch. I don't expect to find exactly what I'm looking for in terms of level or setting, but something relatively close would be good. I'll adapt from any edition.

I don't have a specific adventure or anything, but for the map, you could use the Murial's Gauntlet map from the Expedition to Undermountain. One cavern has an extensive pool of water that could possibly lead, via an underground passage, to a local swamp that the black hunts in.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ExpUndermountain_Maps/106139.jpg

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
What about the black dragon lair in the first dragon lance book. The module that goes with that would have the lair.

Xak Tsaroth, in Dragons of Despair. Great dungeon.

No less true for being said twice. :) It is a great dungeon map, and Karen Wynn Fonstad's isometric cutaways of the caverns in the Atlas of the Dragonlance World are a great reference as well. They're available to find online if you look a bit -- the book itself is almost prohibitively expensive these days.

Last edited:

Blackbrrd

First Post
Xak Tsaroth, in Dragons of Despair. Great dungeon.

No less true for being said twice. :) It is a great dungeon map, and Karen Wynn Fonstad's isometric cutaways of the caverns in the Atlas of the Dragonlance World are a great reference as well. They're available to find online if you look a bit -- the book itself is almost prohibitively expensive these days.
Yeah, I read the first post and was going... what was the name of that city? So yeah, Xak Tsaroth would be my choice as well. Three times mentioned is the charm? :p

There's also the 3E adventure Forge of Fury, which is literally
a black dragon's lair in a lost dwarven ruin.

DL1 has a better map, true. Chuck the rest of the DL1 adventure, though. Outside of Xak Tsaroth, it's a great example of poor adventure design. Choo, choo ...

afetbinttuzani

First Post
There's also the 3E adventure Forge of Fury, which is literally
a black dragon's lair in a lost dwarven ruin.

DL1 has a better map, true. Chuck the rest of the DL1 adventure, though. Outside of Xak Tsaroth, it's a great example of poor adventure design. Choo, choo ...

Awesome. I´ll have a look at this as well. Thanks.

Remove ads