• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for settings or complete rpgs along this line

yipwyg42

First Post
Hi

I am currently in the process of looking for some campaign settings along the lines of the Shannara novels. Basically a fantasy setting that takes place years after an apocalyptic circumstance happens in our world. I know about 4-5 years back, issue 286 dragon, had some Shannara articles in it. However, I would like to do something similar but not necessarily that exact world.
Also, due to my player groups right now, the more traditional to D&D tropes the better. It is kinda difficult to get them to try something new.

Blackmoor is the closest thing right now to what I am thinking. Basically a fantasy world, where some futuristic technology is around.

Earthdawn is similar, being I believe the future or past of Shadowrun.

Thanks for any advice.

Olli

First Post
i´don´t know if this is what u looking for, but u could try dark sun.
it´s as postapocalyptic as D&D can get...

if u don´t know about it, go to www.athas.org to have a quick look what it is about.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Earthdawn is nice, and was re-released (and revised?) in the last couple of years, I believe.

The Blood Throne setting for True20 is rocking my world (RPG-wise) at the moment, but I guess it's a bit more Warhammer-ish than D&D-ish in some of its fundamentals. Still, I am preferring it to either of those. Thoroughly recommended. :cool:

Midnight of course caters to some of your criteria, but not others.

Iron Kingdoms should do the tech and magic thing, I hear. But apocalypse? I don't know. I suppose you could add that in, with just about any setting.

The Scarred Lands' history is a bit apocalyptic, in a way. But not much tech, that I can see.

edit --- Oh, you said "our world". So, Earth then? Oops. :eek: Maybe just ignore my post. :heh: Not even knowing what Shannara really is, I'll just keep adding to the list anyway. :D

Last edited:

The Cardinal

First Post
The Wilderlands of High Fantasy also have sciene fiction / high tech level background (like Blackmoor which is also from the 1970s) - but it's not about our planet.
BTRC did WarpWorld in the early 1990s - which is about Earth in the 24th century, including magic, active deities, elves & dwarfs - but it has a distinct postapocalyptic flavor. They seem to work on a remake of this for their EABA system.

BlackMoria

First Post
Castlemourn, authored mainly by Ed Greenwood.

Basic premise in the campaign is that something very terrible happened 300 years ago that devastated much of the world set for Castlemorn.... except that no one knows what it was.

There is evidence of the terrible event - ruins, etc. But it is like the event mindwiped the survivors, so history only goes back 300 years. Part of the reason for adventuring is to discover the history that pre-dates 300 years ago and to find out what happened to bring down the apocalypse.... and whether it could happen again.

yipwyg42

First Post
Aus Snow sent me the official website of d20 Shannara. That is really cool, have to read it later on after more sleep.

Here is the link

http://web.archive.org/web/20021128000724/http://www.users.qwest.net/~tlaney7587/

Anyway thanks for the responses so far.

After thinking about it here are some more inspirations about the setting I'm thinking of. Now Shannara comes the closest to what I'm thinking of, but there are ones similar in concept.

David Gemmel's Power Stones Series. Basically all 5 books take place on the same world but at different time periods. Love the setting, however, all of my players have read the books so it would be easy to spot. The first two take place during the Arthur legend, and in fact reinterpets it. The last books of the series takes place way in the future. Some of the characters in the Shannow books are from our time though. I would like a more traditional fantasy setting though, than the one presented.

What I am working with now, looks like blackmoor mixed in with Shannara.

Thanks again for the responses, and for others coming down the pipe.

Nuclear Platypus

First Post
Have you looked at Dark Legacies? I think there's only 2 books out (Player's Guide and Campaign Guide) but its set after some sort of apocalypse. The artwork reminded me a lot of Warhammer 40k and according to the blurbs, it's set on Earth thousands of years from now, mixing (low) magic and demons with lost technology.

The Green Adam

First Post
Which 80's game was it...Rolemaster's ShadowWorld maybe...that was a traditional D&D universe except the world was actually the crash site of a generation ship thousands of years earlier. The Elves, Dwarves, Humans, etc. were 'aliens' to the planet. I think Orcs were actually the native species. I think. I may have just made that story up right this second. :confused:

Remove ads