Looking for Stories

E

eriwoj

A gray cloaked figure with hood pulled fast over her face silently approaches. The skin of her exposed hands is deathly pale and her movments are as fluid as a worn and faded banner fluttering in the winter wind. Her staff taps the edge of the table as she seats herself in an empty chair as close to across the table from D'win as possible. The slight sound is all that denotes this 'ghost' as being made of flesh and blood. Or was it a trick of the dead to make one hear or see what does not exist?

]"Do you remember me? Or have I changed too much for even your keen eyes to recognize me?" she asks D'win in a hushed voice almost too low to believe it is female. To those who don't know her it is enough to send a chilling surge through the body.

D

D'win

"My, you have done all of those great deeds and you are only twenty six. That is very impressive. I wish you the best of luck in the rest of your life. But please sit and stay, you are wonderful company."

Then turning to see the newcomer to the table, D'win sighes and a single tear comes to her eyes. Looking right at Silxa, she laughs as she speaks.

"Silxa, dear. I would notice you anywhere, but what has happened to you, you look like you have walked through hell and back. Is there anything wrong?

Pausing she quickly calls for water for Silxa, hoping that she is alright. Then, upon thinking, D'win smiles. "This trial of your's, could I take it and put it in my books, though I am a little lost at which book I would put it in. And I am not looking to start a Book of the Dead. I never met many of them and I pray to my God that you are not dead."

Turning to the other two that are still seated at the table, D'win waves her hand at the two gentlemen and goes to make the intros of them both, she then stops. She had once almost been hurt by making a intro for a person she knew.

"Silxa, these two gentlemen here have both finished giving me tow wonderful stories. There names are...." Pausing she stopped to allos the two men time to introduce themselves.

G

Gerik

A taller man walks in and looks around the bar. Then seeing that there was an empty spot at the main bar he walked over and got himself a whiskey. After talking a long pull on it he continues to look around the bar.
Upon seeing the group and the two lovely women that were seated there he walked over to introduce himself.

"I am Gerik."Then finding an open chair by the one with a stick he kept talking. "Why are you fine women sitting in a bar when you should be out looking for men. Like myself or these other two fine gentlemen."

Then noticing the one with the two books, he motions to them. "What are you writing there missy? Is it fact or fiction, if it is either I will be more than willing to give you some story, but you must ask for it first."

Then smiling a broad smile he takes another drink and looks around the group, studing them.

D

D'win

Seeing the new comer to the table D'win pauses in her reading and smiles. "This one will give me a very nice story."

"I am D'win, Keeper of the Stories of the Fallen Angels and the Keeper of the Stories of Mortals. And you said the Gerik is your name sir. I wish to learn about you before I take any story, but since you said that I have only to ask, I will ask. May I have a story from you sir.

My stories are all true and are either taken from the mouths of those that are in the story or those which I see take place. I am a very talented being when it comes to wacthing things take place."

With that she paused and wrote a few things in her book. Still playing with her dagger, D'win looks back to the new comer and hopes that he will not ruin her stories or scare off her new friends or Silxa.

S

Savien

A new figure enters. A well dressed man beneath an unruly mane of flame red hair. Cradled in his right arm is a bright blue axe, and across is back is a lute. He scans the room and quickly locks his strange amber eyes with D'win. He smiles disarmingly and aproaches. As he draws near, it becoms apparent that he is half-elven.

"Greetings storyteller, I have heard of you. I am Savien of Waterdeep, a collector of tales myself. If I may sit and listen awhile, I will repay the hospitality with a tale of my own."

D

D'win

D'win is shocked that this man has heard of her and then notices his looks. "A new story this Gerik guy can wait."

"So sir, you have heard of me, from who may I ask. That way if I ever encounter them I will be able to thank them. You say that you have a story, into which book of mine would I place it? And you are more than welcome to sit and visit and listen. I think that this gentlemen hear was about to tell me his tale. After he is done, you may tell your story, if you wish."

Then pouring herself a drink she offers one to Savien "Would you care for a drink Savien? I have a very nice wine celler here that contains elven wine of the red varity."

D'win then becomes distracted by the way that the man is carrying his lute and ax. "Tell me sir, why do you carry your ax and lute that way. Would it not be easier to carry the ax on the back and the lute in the arms. It would give you a look that would not be threatening."

S

Savien

A somewhat mischeivous smile alights on the half-elf's face, as he had anticipated a surprised response.

"Your name is etched in the rolls in the Hall of Oghma, god of knowledge and bards. All who tell stories and collect them are known to Him,"he replies to her shocked query. "Alas I do not know who wrote it there, so save your thanks for now"

Savien happily accepts the offered drink with polite thanks, and says, "The stories I know will mostly be fit for the Book of Mortals, but I have a few that may challenge you as to where they belong, as they may be fit for either, depending on the perspective"

"Many are tales of fate. The fate of men and women." With a merry twinkle in his strange amber eyes he asks, "You do believe in fate?"

Looking fondly down at his axe, he replies,"Both are tools that I use in my travels, and both have altered my life." He raises his gaze and says,"Both also have stories, Stories of fate. My fate."

His deameanor seems light as he sits, but it is obvious that he takes the subject seriously. " In answer to your question," he says, "the lute rides my back because I chose it, and the axe rides my arm because she chose me."

At this he eases back int his chair and sips his wine. His eyes shine with anticipation over the glass as he awaits the question he knows is coming.

D

D'win

"This one is very interesting, I hope he doesn't cause problems." Smiling at him, she is glad that he seems kind enough to allow her to have a few stories. Raising her glass to him she puts her dagger down and picks up her pen.

"Your's are storeis of Fate, they will go into my book of Mortals, for you are a mortal and your stories are about them. My other book and only other book is a Book for Fallen Angels, those that choose to leave, and those that were kicked out.

Well, were would you like to begin, let us start with the arrival of your ax, that choose you. How did that come to happen, is there some spirit stuck in there or something?" Giggling, the sound was intoxicating, she wrote in her book The following are Stories of Fate given to me by Savien,

"Is that alright with you that I use your name in my book? That way when others later read these accounts they know who to thank for the wonderful stories."

Then turning to Gerik, D'win sighs...."Maybe this young man should not drink he is far too quit." "Gerik, I am still happy to take your stories, but this man has moved to tell his first. Please will you give us your story or stories when he is done?"

G

Gerik

Taking a long drink and calling for the wench to bring more, Gerik smiles at D'win.

"Oh, I will wait to give you your stories, I have not made up my mind if you are worthy enough to give them to. You seem like you know what you are doing and I am intersted in seeing some of the stories you have written down." Then leaning over the lady with the stick Gerik tries seeing what is in her book. "Now missy I would like to see what you have written, so just tilt the book in my direction. I will not spill any of my drink on it, I promise. I am a man of my word and I will do anything in my power to keep your nice book clean."

Then sitting back in his chair ,Gerik waits for the lovly D'win to show him what is in her book. He was born with patience and he was very young when he learned that it would get him far as long as he keep a cool head about his shoulders.

S

Savien

Savien smiles again as he lowers his glass. He would have enjoyed hearing a story from Gerik, but never minds telling one of his own. He closes his eyes and remembers it as if it were yesterday.

His eyes open and he watches D'win write as he begins to speak.
"You may use my name in the book if you wish, else how will one know if the tale is true. The story can be told in the Book of Mortals, since it is about me, but there is a spririt in the axe, and she may be an angel who has fallen, but not gone."

"It was five years ago, and I was newly come to the great "City of Splendors. One of the few friends I had made was an elven priest of Milil- the god of song, Arkiem by name. One night, as I often did, I went to an inn where he sang. He would often sing ancient elven ballads, stories in their own right."

"This night, however, was different. He began to sing in his usual beautiful tenor, but seemed almost to be in a trance. His eyes gazed far away as he sang about fallen heroes, heroes that fell defending the city from great evils. He sang of the creation of a weapon. A weapon to be wielded by heroes. Forged of magic and steel, and imbued with powers to overcome the undead and evil planar beings, it was called Azure Edge, Slayer of the Netherborn."

He pauses, and gazes at the weapon still cradled, almost lovingly in his arm. The blue metal almost seems to pulse with energy, as if taking pride in its own history. She sends an empathic pulse through his mind, and he knows that she is pleased.

He looks back towards D'win and the others and continues. "One of the great heroines of the city, Lady Lauoroun, volenteered to have her spirit bound to the weapon, so it would have a conciousness. This sentience would protect it so it would not fall into unworthy hands. In essence the blade now can choose her own wielder.
The song continues, and now speaks of those who have wielded her before. Each one gave his or her life in service to the city.
Each one ended a dire threat."

"Upon the death of each wielder, the blade would vanish, only to reappear when some peril threatened the great city once more.
As this verse left the bard's lips, the great weapon appeared, hovering in midair above the crowd. There it hung until the last note of the song faded, pulsing with crackling blue energy."

"As the last note of Arkiem's song faded, the axe hurled forward, to bury her blade in the far wall. The singer then continued, a verse that warned, only one worhty of the blade would touch her.
Any others would be rejected, perhaps painfully."

"At this point he came out of the trance, and seemed as amazed as everyone else in the room to see the axe, glow now fading impaled in the wall beside him. He came to me and said, "Do not touch the axe. I must consult the city fathers on this." That said he departed."

Savien pauses in the tale, and looks at D'win. "You should know, at this point in the story, and in my life, I had no illusions of being a hero. I did not want the burden of protecting an entire city. I sat calmly in my seat and watched a huge northerner rise and loudly proclaim his worhtiness. I watched less calmly as he strode forward, grasped the axe, and was hurled across the room in a blinding blue flash."

"A notable paladin examined the man and announced that he was dead. Well I certainly was not going to touch this weapon now. It had struck down a powerful barbarian, half again my size just for grasping it.

"The paladin strode forward and grsped the handle of the great weapon, and everyone expected him to pull it free. A look of confusion crossed his face, and he released the handle. He walked past me muttering, " It said, not my destiny, not my fate. It talked .... spoke in my mind." I sat and watched a few others try their luck. Most were unharmed, and simply could not pull the blade free."

"Then it happened. For no reason I can explain, I suddenly felt the desire to be worthy. Almost as if I were not there I felt my body rise to its feet. I walked slowly to where the weapon hung and reached for its handle with trembling fingers. My hand closed on the handle, and I gave a tug. Nothing happened. Nothing, no blinding flash, no voice in my head, simply nothing.'

"As I stood there, hand graping this weapon, I began to want it. I wanted it badly, no NEEDED it. As I startd to pull harder, I realized that this was not my emotion, but that of the axe. She had chosen ME, and wanted terribly for me to pull her from the wall. One final tug and the weapon came free, so easily that I nearly fell over."

"I stumbled backward until I regained my balance, and stood there gaping in awe at this weapon. I could immediately tell that the blade was pleased with her chioce, though I could not fathom it. After all I did not even know how to properly wield an axe in battle."

Pausing again for a drink, Savien looks at his listeners. The looks he sees on their faces show they perhaps wonder as he did, why this weapon would choose someone who did not even know how to use her.

"There are other details that I do not remember so well, after grasping the axe. I can tell you that in days following she taught me to wield her. She gave me instruction through dreams. I slept the nights away, dreaming of practice and combat with the weapon. I awoke rested, but retained all the training. Still to this day, I cannot properly wield another axe, but handle this one as if born to it. Apparently she was training me to defend the city against the next great crisis, but that is another story....."

Savien watches as D'win writes the last lines in her book. "I hope that was not too long winded for you," he says as he lifts his cup and drains it. "It is true, as you require, and you see the proof here on my arm. That is why she rides where she does."

He sits back wondering what responses will come from his tale, and waiting to see if someone else will tell one.

Remove ads