• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for suggestions for good fantasy series to read

YourSwordIsMine

First Post
Hey all, I’m kind of holed up due to illness and I’m getting antsy… WoW and computer games are just not keeping my mind occupied right now. I really want to read something since I haven’t in some time but I don’t like to just pick up anything off the shelf without some kind of recommendation. My tastes run usually to the epic fantasy like Tolkien, Eddings, Jordan, and Goodkind. I do need to pick up Goodkinds latest and will be doing so soon but I was wondering if anyone would recommend any other good series that are out there. Look at my local bookstores Fantasy section there seems to be a lot to choose from these days but separating the good from the drek…

Advice? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

YourSwordIsMine

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
Stephen Brust's Jhereg series. You can get a compilation trade paperback of the first three for $10 on Amazon.

Very good series, though I havent read some of the most recent books. Are they any good?

I think I stopped at Taltos?

YourSwordIsMine said:
Very good series, though I havent read some of the most recent books. Are they any good?

A mixed bag. I wouldn't say any of them are bad, but he does change up the style a bit, so if you pick one up expecting something just like the first couple you could be disappointed. "Dragon", though, is superb, and arguably the best in the series.

trancejeremy said:
Sean Russell's early duologies. "World Without End" & "Sea Without a Shore" and "Beneath the Vaulted Hills" & "Compass of the Soul".

Yes, those are very good.

Steel_Wind

Legend
If you have not read it, George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire is the current bestselling series in the genre. And in my view, the best yet.

Grog

First Post
Try Glen Cook's Black Company series. It's darker in tone than most of the ones you mentioned, but still very good.

Corwyn

First Post
Another good and very epic series is "Malazan book of the fallen" by Steven Erikson.

That is the series name but the fist book is called "Gardens of the Moon". :cool:

YourSwordIsMine

First Post
Steel_Wind said:
If you have not read it, George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire is the current bestselling series in the genre. And in my view, the best yet.

Book one was A Game of Thrones? I still havent finished it yet. I remember having difficulty getting through it, but then I seperating from my Fiance as the time... I will have to try and find a new copy sometime and try it again. They do seem very popular.

What the heck is a duology? I'm not familiar with this term...

Aus_Snow

First Post
YourSwordIsMine said:
Book one was A Game of Thrones? I still havent finished it yet. I remember having difficulty getting through it, but then I seperating from my Fiance as the time... I will have to try and find a new copy sometime and try it again. They do seem very popular.

What the heck is a duology? I'm not familiar with this term...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duology (i.e., pretty much what it sounds/looks like ;) .)

'A Song of Ice and Fire' is worth a read, IMO.

If you haven't read the Riftwar Saga, then try that too. Possibly the Empire books, co-written with Janny Wurts, if you like Feist's approach. And, by the looks of your tastes at this stage, you might like Guy Gavriel Kay. But I can't quite remember his exact style, as it's been a while.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads