• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for tips on creating a Futuristic/post-apocolyptic setting

Miziziziz

First Post
I was looking to make a futuristic setting on a 'colonial' planet. Basic story is: there was a solar flare that turned the colonized side of the planet into a desert landscape. So, post-apocalyptic.

The playable races will be human and robot (robots can be customized for various advantages and disadvantages, such as choosing a +2 strength bonus means also getting -2 Dex, and vice versa, and higher Int/Cha/Wis means lower in some physical attribute and vice versa. Also, optional size of Small or Medium), and Android as a template for humans (camera eye for improved Spot checks?).

Items will be re-skinned to be futuristic: Crossbows will become 'Bolt-guns'(spring loaded guns that operate the same way as a crossbow basically), maces could be Large wrenches, etc. A lightning enchanted mace would look like a Tesla coil.

Magic would simply be high-technology: computer chips and such would be implanted in someone, allowing them to manipulate energy; spells are coded, Somatic and Verbal components are code for activating spells, Mats are like 'ammo'.
Divine magic is drawn from a unique power core that uses the power of your emotions, but can only use one kind of emotion, so the only reliable one is faith in a god.
Psionic is Psionic; it's futuristic.

technology was super sleek and shiny, but all that good stuff is long gone/super rare: most technology now is bulky and low-end, with lots of smoke and gears and noise.

enemy creatures: there's always the option of some invading species of High-tech aliens who burned away half the planet to kill the humans in the first place, but to be more original:

Muckers; the genetically distorted humans with melted faces and brains (results of the solar flare) who want to kill everyone, and their DNA is so screwed up that their offspring are the same.

Any number of rogue AI infected with viruses.
Genetically engineered runaway creatures.
Indigenous alien creatures.
Bandits.

So, what would you suggest?

Derren

Hero
How long was the apocalypse ago?

Also as it is a colonized planet you have to have an answer ready when the players ask/look into why the homeplanet didn't send help or new settlers.

Dozen

First Post
I'd look into other, futuristic d20 RPGs like Shadowrun or Star Wars for tips.

I don't understand why wouldn't you just play one of those instead of messing with D&D though. And that Tesla mace is quite silly.

Last edited:

Miziziziz

First Post
How long was the apocalypse ago?

Also as it is a colonized planet you have to have an answer ready when the players ask/look into why the homeplanet didn't send help or new settlers.

the apocalypse was a couple decades ago. And the homeplanet not sending help is part of the mystery players can try to uncover (evil aliens, the solar flare affected the homeplanet too, etc. depends on how I want to campaign it)

All fantasy games obviously benefit from nit picking your favourite point of other fantasy games, I tend to enjoy incoperating idea's from books or films that I like into my games.

An obvious source for this would be fall out, nearly everyone has played fallout 3, and it gives a basic idea of what kind of things happen in a post apocalyptic sci-fi wasteland.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
d20 Modern and d20 Future should have everything you need, such as Replicants for your androids and rules on mutations and radiation. Was the solar flare natural or created on purpose? If it was aimed at the colony was it created by one faction of the humans during a war or by aliens? Was the entire planet altered or are there areas left untouched by the flare? An oasis region would be fought over and would need to be heavily defended. Whoever controlled the last fertile regions of the planet would be very powerful and could become a tyrant. Maybe find the last fertile zone is a major quest, like finding Paradise. Will you include powers like psionics or mutant powers? Perhaps human evolution has been activated by the solar flares. Lots of things to think about...

Serendipity

Explorer
Nice. Sounds superficially similar to the setting I use in my Mutant Future game, the rules for which might fit your needs. (It's an OSR post-apocalyptic game based more or less on the B/X rules by way of Labyrinth Lord.)

Miziziziz

First Post
d20 Modern and d20 Future should have everything you need, such as Replicants for your androids and rules on mutations and radiation. Was the solar flare natural or created on purpose? If it was aimed at the colony was it created by one faction of the humans during a war or by aliens? Was the entire planet altered or are there areas left untouched by the flare? An oasis region would be fought over and would need to be heavily defended. Whoever controlled the last fertile regions of the planet would be very powerful and could become a tyrant. Maybe find the last fertile zone is a major quest, like finding Paradise. Will you include powers like psionics or mutant powers? Perhaps human evolution has been activated by the solar flares. Lots of things to think about...

YES, thank you. These were all the things I was going for

Remove ads