• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for unique creatures

Smoss

First Post
Time to challenge those minds out there!

Looking to see what interesting and unique creatures might be out there (I am adding to my bestiary in my RPG system and looking for inspiration).

I've seen lots of monsters - A lot of humanoid creatures that are just different (goblinoids, etc), to giant sized versions of regular critters, to things that are based on creatures we know (Like cat people, fish people, dragons, griffins, etc). I have taken about all I can out of Lovecraftian style lore (Aboleths are a favorite of mine for some odd reason...)

Wondering if anyone has thoughts on something a bit more unique. I've already plumbed all my old RPG monster manuals and various fantasy bestiaries. Let us see what odd thoughts are out there! Any suggestion for resources I might have missed is also welcome... Thanks all!

Rechan

Adventurer
I find one of the best ways to make a unique monster is to take a ye olde monster, and put it on a pedestal. Flavor it up, make it important and epic, and rare. After all, there was only 1 minotaur, 3 gorgons, etc. Although they don't have to be one of a kind, but if there are a limited number, it does feel special facing one.

Recently in my game I did this by creating a monster called the Sulvriksus, which was born when Vecna and Zehir's blood mingled after they battled. The beast was thus steeped in lies, but had a kernal of truth. This was represented by multiple heads that spoke lies, except for 1 which could only speak truth (and in full detail). The beast had access to Vecna's 'pool of knowledge', but itself was unintelligent.

Thus, it has a very mythological basis, and has a very unique, out-of-combat ability to answer any one question indepthly (if you choose the right head).

I then simply used a hydra to represent it mechanically. Also visually - except that the heads were almost more human-like than snake like.

Then I spruced up the process of getting the answer: The PCs had to first summon the beast by saying aloud/writing on a piece of paper a secret that only one person knows, and then that secret is lost to the person when the Sulvriksus arrives. Then, in order to determine which head was the truth telling head, a repentant confession had to be said aloud, or stuck in the mouth of a head. Either way, the lieing head(s) would wither. The Truthtelling head would need to be emersed in pure water before it could be asked the Question.

So:

Mythological Monster
Unique out-of-combat ability PCs would want
Set of specific directions required for an end-result.

Smoss

First Post
Nice start Rechan!

Admittedly for my system monsters are very rare (Often the last of their kind. World is really based around human interactions). So I definitely want the monsters to stand out. Some of what I do have is a twist of the normal (Or hearkens back to an older form of the creature in myth).

I am kind of hoping for some thoughts on something with a feeling of "other" to it. They often make a big impact (For example - In Star Trek there are thousands of "almost human" aliens. My favorite though, was the Horta - by virtue of actually being fairly alien).

Thanks!

weem

First Post
I like to look through DeviantArt for a number of reasons, but one of those is that you see some really interesting and unique stuff there, including monsters.

One of my favorites has been this one...

The_Gaoler_by_Genethoq.jpg

...I even used him in my last game (a late Paragon level 4e one-off). I called him the 'Key of Time' and the players fought him near the steps to the 'Portal of Time' (yes yes, very generic, but I didn't have time to prep much).

His various powers not only did damage, applied conditions, etc but they were time themed and the players would age when hit with some powers, or be made younger with others.

Anyway, back to the point - look through art sites such as DeviantArt for inspiration ;)

Rechan

Adventurer
Nice start Rechan!

Admittedly for my system monsters are very rare (Often the last of their kind. World is really based around human interactions). So I definitely want the monsters to stand out. Some of what I do have is a twist of the normal (Or hearkens back to an older form of the creature in myth).
Another way to go are

1) Monsters that were humans, but due to the person's actions, they become something Else. A good traditional example is a Ghoul - someone who has lived off of eating others (either physical cannibalism, or being for instance a misery landlord that charges people into the poorhouse). This could qualify undead, but I take a different route.

2) Monsters that represent Things, and therefore they don't "go away". A good example is a Wendigo, if you take the interpretation that the Wendigo is merely a powerful spirit of Hunger.

For #1, here's a few things I've done:

Rugaru: These are men who, for whatever reason, began to hunt other people. This changed them into the Hunters of Men, who come only every so many years, to stalk and kill the most worthy of prey. They ignore the weak, and instead pursue the more dangerous of quarry. (So, the "Predator" movie + "The Most Dangerous Game").

Harpies: A small fiefdom of amazonian elves who believed they were so beautiful, their appearance bested that of the gods themselves. For their hubris, they were changed into winged fiends, mockeries of their once beauty.

Chrono22

Banned
Banned
The 2e ravenloft monster compendiums are chock full of unique and interesting monsters.

One method I sometimes use is impossible templates- apply traits to a creature that can't have them. It can lead to unexpected but rewarding results.

Aus_Snow

First Post
A couple of books I've found to be handy sources for (more or less) 3e-suitable monsters: Denizens of Avadnu and Call of Cthulhu d20.

But I don't know what system you're using, so. . .

Otherwise, if it's simply ideas you're after, and you like (or don't mind) statting things up yourself, well, you'll never be short of material. Check out the myths and folklore from various eras and cultures, just for starters. Crazy bugs and sea creatures that are REAL (!) The list goes on.

And yeah, what the other posters have already said, basically. :)

edit --- oops, just (re-)read the OP. Never mind most of what I just posted then. . . :eek: Oh well, while I'm typing here again -- how about sci-fi sources? Pretty close to fantasy, and might be worth looking at.

Remove ads