Looking to buy my 1st campaign setting - advice?

Jools

First Post
Are you teaching in Japan - or are you Japanese?

Oh no, I'm a Welshman in Japan teaching English like everyone else. I've been a college lecturer for a number of years here but sadly am just about to quit due to my rather shoddy health. I've been looking at other ways to get an income part time and have been thinking about your teaching English through D&D idea since you brought it up in another thread. I have very little experience with young children but was thinking of hitting the local geek shops (round here there's many) to see if I could drum up any interest with the older kids/adults. I could see it being a lot of fun if there were interest. I have no idea if I'd be able to drum up interest or not though.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Oh no, I'm a Welshman in Japan teaching English like everyone else...

Are there any other Americans such as myself wondering what Japanese speakers of English taught by a Welshman will sound like?

:D

Jools

First Post
As for recommendations, it seems to me that adventures might be too small for you but entire worlds/settings might be too big. Perhaps a happy middle ground to suit your needs would be one of the two adventure locations Hammerfast or Vor Rukoth. They detail a location (with maps) and contain the basic outlines of a mind bogglingly large number of adventures that can take place there.[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Vor-Rukoth-Ancient-Ruins-Adventure/dp/078695549X/ref=pd_cp_b_2"][/ame]

Wik

First Post
God, I'd love to say "Get Dark Sun!" but honestly, it doesn't sound like a good match. "Grim and Gritty" doesn't really work until at least the age of sixteen, in my experience.

I think DannyAlcatraz is dead right in his assessment: look at what your audience is into, and go from there. My guess is that Eberron is your best bet - there's already 4e materials, there are prepublished adventures in DUNGEON (my advice is to use them as a framework, and then modify to your heart's content - it's the ONLY way to run wotc in my mind), and there's a lot of different areas you can include for multiple campaigns.

I'd recommend were you to do that, that you have all the PCs belong to the same organization - members of the Twelve (an alliance of dragonmarked houses), the University whose name I forget (Indiana Jones adventure for the win!) or maybe even a MOSSAD-type agency whose goal is to bring to justice war criminals or something. That way, you can easily mix and match PCs from different groups, and have an excuse to send the PCs all over the continent - and Eberron really excels when you play John Williams' music and trace a red line over a map.

As for Forgotten Realms - I was never a Realmsie, and the 4e version was so-so for me. There are definite plusses, and definite negatives. My gut would suggest it's a pretty decent starting point, and there's plenty of room for a GM to create his own worlds. One day I'll run a campaign set in Damara and have a ball.

buddhafrog

First Post
Oh no, I'm a Welshman in Japan teaching English like everyone else. I've been a college lecturer for a number of years here but sadly am just about to quit due to my rather shoddy health. I've been looking at other ways to get an income part time and have been thinking about your teaching English through D&D idea since you brought it up in another thread. I have very little experience with young children but was thinking of hitting the local geek shops (round here there's many) to see if I could drum up any interest with the older kids/adults. I could see it being a lot of fun if there were interest. I have no idea if I'd be able to drum up interest or not though.

I used to be a lecturer nearly 15 years ago on my first stint in Korea. This time, it's all privately tutoring kids. Both had different perks.

I've had five short visits to Japan, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were many geek/gamer shops there. In Korea, there is basically *nothing*! I really think that it could be very successful there if you ran D&D games through local shops. However, it might take some real time to make it happen. I don't know if you could work something out in cooperation with the shops and the many local English schools - they already have the students who pay for English. Also, maybe you could offer the store workers to join games for free, but have others as paying players.

I will tell you this: if you can make it work, you'll love it! (PS, privately, I get paid almost as much with only my DM hours as I did while a lecturer - it's great :D)

Remove ads