• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking to find some feedback on a WIP Sorcerous Origin, the Rageburner.

Acr0ssTh3P0nd

First Post
I'm really trying to up the quality in my homebrew that I produce, so I'm looking for as much feedback as I can get as possible. I don't have a regular non-Adventurer's League game right now, so I can't do actual testing on it, and I'll take any help I can get!

Thanks for your thoughts in advance!

Rageburner

Your innate magic comes from an ancient and potential alien source of anger and destruction, and lives up to its origins. Perhaps your wizardly great-great-grandparent was known for their mysterious and frightening companions, or maybe your powers were forced upon you by some cult or other sinister organization. Whatever its source, you can feel the destructive forces within you, itching at your fingertips, yearning to be unleashed upon the world.

Rageburner Resilience
In key times of peril, your magical abilities burn through your veins, giving you an edge in otherwise-deadly situations. At 1st level your hit point maximum increases by 1, and increases by 1 again whenever you gain a level in this class.
[Note: This HP gain seems a little low to me, considering that most of the Rageburner's features either deal damage to the Rageburner or are activated by the Rageburner taking damage. However, the Rageburn feature is an extra-damage feature at a lower level than the other Sorcerous Origins, including Storm sorcerers, so I figured it would be balanced out. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.]

Rageburn
Starting at 1st level, when an enemy deals damage to you, you deal extra damage to that enemy equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum +1) if you damage that enemy with a spell you cast before the end of your next turn. This damage is of same type as the damage from the spell you cast. You can only target one enemy per turn with this ability.

Self-Destruction
Starting at 6th level, when you cast a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher, you can choose to immediately take force damage equal to your sorcerer level + your proficiency bonus to regain 1 sorcery point. You may spend this sorcery point on the same spell you used to gain it.

Adrenaline Burn
At 14th level, when you would make a Strength or Dexterity check, you can choose to immediately take necrotic damage equal to half your sorcerer level as your powers push your body beyond its normal limits. You count as proficient with the check even if you are not, and your proficiency bonus is doubled for that check.

From the Ashes
At 18th level, when you a spell you cast deals damage to you, you can choose to instead regain hit points equal to half that damage. You must finish a long rest before you can use this feature again.

Remove ads