• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking to get a new gaming pc

drothgery

First Post
obDisclaimer: I'm not a harcore PC gamer; the most powerful video card in my apartment is in my Xbox 360, and that's by a very large margin. But I spend way too much time poking around on hardware review sites.

Having said that... pretty much everything in the $150US-$250US range among recent cards (GeForce 8/9 series, Radeon 3800 series) right now is very good from a price/performance standpoint. But there's just not that much drop-off from the 8800GTS (or GTX or the single-GPU 9800 lines) to the 8800GT (and its close cousins, the 8800GTS 512MB and the 9600) except at ultra-high resolutions (above the 1920x1200 you usually see on 24"-27" widescreen LCDs), and that's also about the only place SLI (or CrossFire) is useful.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Sugarmouse said:
I'm also in the process of upgrading my computer, and it was recommended to me to get 2x Galaxy 8800 GT 512mb cards instead of a single 8800 GTS, citing that this would be just below par performance for a 9 series NVidia. My own research seems to suggest that this kind of rigging can be equivalent to a 9600, with only a slight drop in comparative performance.

Price wise, a single 8800 GTS would cost about $50AUD more.

So, anyone able to give me some input on whether or not this is a good idea, and why?
Well, I'll have a go. Given the AUD price there, I'll assume you're also in Australia (seems a safe bet, I guess.)

A 512MB 8800GT goes for $235 (so, $470 for two), last I checked. 8800GTS, $335. So that's a difference of $135, but the other way around.

Haven't checked the 9xxx series' pricing yet.

hth.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads