• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking to pay adventure designers/writers for 10k word modules [Closed]

cavetroll

Explorer
That's potentially between $320 and $500. I think people would want to have a more specific number.
Its a range because it is similar to commissioning art, it completely depends on the artist. If it was Ed Greenwood I would expect to pay a small fortune. But for a new young writer, clearly that is not the same.

If they have their own podcast or a large social media presence then I would pay more than $500, or maybe we can cut a deal whereby they sell it on their platform, retain the profits, but I can point people to "look at publishers supporting the system", its whatever can be negotiated.

I mean if Kobold Press were to list a few adventures... that would be worth a lot of $$$ :) And something of a pipe dream lol.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
It's worth noting that if there's a cost for payment, the publisher is expected to meet that cost, not the employee. So the amount received by the freelancer would be $.04-.05/word, not that amount less 20%. As a freelancer, if someone tried to short me that amount I'd ask them to pay me by check instead.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's worth noting that if there's a cost for payment, the publisher is expected to meet that cost, not the employee. So the amount received by the freelancer would be $.04-.05/word, not that amount less 20%. As a freelancer, if someone tried to short me that amount I'd ask them to pay me by check instead.
A payment processor taking 20%? That’s ridiculous.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I see, ok then we will do 8 cents per word, limit it to only experienced writers and I will pay the fee.

thanks
Well you could just not use a payment processor that takes 20% of the transaction? Why not just use PayPal which takes about 2%? Or one of many others? 20% is not a typical payment processing transaction fee.

(We have a monthly payroll at ENP with total freelancer payments often in the tens of thousands... I shudder to think of paying 20% of that to a third party payment processor!)

cavetroll

Explorer
Well you could just not use a payment processor that takes 20% of the transaction? Why not just use PayPal which takes about 2%? Or one of many others? 20% is not a typical payment processing transaction fee.

(We have a monthly payroll at ENP with total freelancer payments often in the tens of thousands... I shudder to think of paying 20% of that to a third party payment processor!)
Your situation and my situation are very different. You work within a small community where everyone knows everyone whereas I'm not in the industry in any capacity at all. Last year I had a fairly well known youtuber do an ad for me, they delivered and I tried to use paypal but it didn't work. I found that incredibly stressful. Eventually we got it sorted, an issue with his Paypal account, but I do not like that situation, nor do I like to ask for peoples home addresses to send checks. Fiverr has made this project so much easier, I have had 30+ artists (including some writers) from countries around the globe work on it, I doubt any of them had Paypal.

I thought it would be nice, since I read a lot of Enworld, to see if there were any adventure writers looking for a side gig, but I doubt there will be, most professional writers are just busy with their own projects. Still I thought I would throw it out there just in case I got lucky.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Your situation and my situation are very different. You work within a small community where everyone knows everyone whereas I'm not in the industry in any capacity at all. Last year I had a fairly well known youtuber do an ad for me, they delivered and I tried to use paypal but it didn't work. I found that incredibly stressful. Eventually we got it sorted, an issue with his Paypal account, but I do not like that situation, nor do I like to ask for peoples home addresses to send checks. Fiverr has made this project so much easier, I have had 30+ artists (including some writers) from countries around the globe work on it, I doubt any of them had Paypal.
Well, you have to make the choices you make, but paying them 20% because an artist had difficulty with PayPal seems over the top. But of course, it's not my call. I just found that 20% to be exhorbitantly high for a payment processor. But if you're happy paying that, who am I to argue?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I thought it would be nice, since I read a lot of Enworld, to see if there were any adventure writers looking for a side gig, but I doubt there will be, most professional writers are just busy with their own projects. Still I thought I would throw it out there just in case I got lucky.
I love that you're doing this! I just wanted to flag the one thing that would dissuade me as a freelancer.

Can you talk more about the unique layout?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads