Looks Grim for Grimm

Lord Pendragon

First Post
sniffles said:
Sometimes a movie doesn't need a purpose
No, that's candy. :p
Hijinks said:
I'm more turned off by Matt Damon than by the director. I dunno, I just don't think Matt has made good film choices in later years (what was UP with that stupid siamese twin thing?!?) and so if he's in a film, I tend to think it's gonna suck.
Did you think the Bourne movies sucked?

Wombat

First Post
Let's see...

Brothers Grimm -- have yet to see.
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998) -- Well, the book was a brilliant mess and so was the film.
Twelve Monkeys (1995) -- No one in the critical community knew what to make of it. I thought it was dead brilliant. This film finally convinced me that Bruce Willis could act!
The Fisher King (1991) -- Second best Arthurian film ever created. Wonderful from beginning to end! And Mercedes Ruehl took home the Oscar, so Gilliam got a bit of credit.
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988) -- Fun, imaginative, but most were confused by its message
Brazil (1985) -- nearly provoked a war with the studio, initially panned, bombed at the box office, now considered one of the seminal films of the 20th century
Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (1984) -- Not sure how much he actually directed in it (besides The Crimson Mutual Assurance, YAR!), this was a real hit-n-miss film.
Time Bandits (1981) -- pure fun! Few knew what to make of it at first, but now it is considered a minor classic
Jabberwocky (1977) -- well ... he tried. A very confused film.
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) -- best Arthurian film in existence! A true classic!
The Miracle of Flight (1974) -- "Fly!" **boot** WWWWWAAAaaaaahhhhh....

For my money, then, The Brothers Grimm deserves at least some attention merely because enough of his films did poorly at the box office and amongst initial reviews, yet have become classic mainstays and personal favourites. :)

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Mark CMG said:
The idea of a couple of conmen getting caught up in an adventure and having to take on the persona of the Brothers Grimm sounds fantastic to me. It follows in the same vein as The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, Time Bandits, and other films by Gilliam, where some person or persons get swept up in an adventure they hadn't planned. I've always liked that premise.
I just saw it, and enjoyed the heck out of it. The Brothers Grimm follows that premise exactly. Except the brothers
allegedly are the actual Grimm brothers (through a Terry Gilliam reimagining), who are con men and get caught up in an adventure. Seeds of the Grimm's Fairy Tales are spotted throughout the entire adventure, as one of the brothers is taking notes about the mystery around the village of Marbaden (sp?). The viewer is left with the impression that what the brothers just saw will be written up as the book of fairy tales we all know...

Frankly, besides Matt Damon's distracting acting (felt like his Ocean's Eleven character, but in a different movie), there was a lot to like in the movie if you are a Terry Gilliam fan.

Felon

First Post
Just got back from seeing. Pretty fun flick. I attended the 9:40 showing and it was packed. Playing on two screens even.

Critics panned Fantatic Four too. Still raked in over 50 million its opening weekend.

Just saw it, too, and really enjoyed it. Matt Damon was o.k., but Heath Ledger stole the film from him.

And, come on, people, since when has Rex Reed been a decent film critic? Maybe back in the 60s? He recently liked I, Robot, The Day After Tomorrow, The Terminal, Troy, & Hildago. Liking one of them I could forgive--but all five? And he hated Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (calliing the "The silliest, as well as the most contrived -- and confusing -- of them all."--huh? it's a million times better than the first two HP films. Confusing? What was Rex smoking when he watched HP3? And what is the street value of that substance?!)

And don't forget his cinematic debut: screaming "Where are my :):):):)?!" in Myra Breckenridge (he played Myron, before he became Myra).

Yeah, that's the man whose opinion informs my movie-going.

Ignore the critics & make up your own mind!

If you want perfection, The Brothers Grimm is not for you. There are a few things that boggle the mind (not in a good way). Like: [sblock]Why does the Italian torturer suddenly refuse to kill them?! Plot police! Calling the Plot Police! I want to make a citizen's arrest for that plot hole![/sblock]

Dragonblade

Adventurer
I'm looking forward to this. And I agree that any critic who thought Day After Tomorrow was even remotely good, is not worth listening to.

When I saw Day After Tomorrow, the whole theater started to MST3K it, thats how bad it was. And when the 'vice president' comes on and starts giving his ridiculous environmental spiel, the whole audience just erupted with people throwing popcorn and booing. And I live in Oregon, the most liberal state in the union!

Darthjaye

First Post
Not to keen on what the critics tend to say about a movie. I generally have a scale which I ask my friends what they thought of it based on said scale. This scale consists of some pretty straight forward questions/ ways I would describe the movie back to them if asked. These questions are (not all are asked at once I just pretty much ask the question based on their willingness to talk about the movie):

Would you be willing to see the movie again for full price?
Were you okay with paying full price this time?
Would you say it's worth Matinee price?
Would you say it's a DVD/ Video rental?
Should I just wait for it to show up on Cable/ Late night TV?
Do you want the studio to refund the time lost to you for watching said movie?
Do you feel stupider for even viewing it?

:D

Remove ads