• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Looks like 4e's combat is closer, and I LIKE it!!

Stalker0

Legend
Judging by the spells and bow ranges we've seen so far, it appears that encounters in dnd will be a lot closer than in 3e. Obviously that won't change much for the dungeon, but in outdoor settings it makes a big deal.

And I love it.

I greatly prefer outdoor adventures to dungeons. I've dmed games when I did a lot of long range combat. I've played a melee character in games that featured a lot of long ranged combat. Both fell short for me. While the "realist" in me understand that a bows can shoot a very nice distance, the "player" in me just wants to get to the fun of a fight.

I'm hoping long ranged spells are another sacred cow ready for slaughter.

hong

WotC's bitch
Honestly, 3E bow ranges are ridiculous. Yes, an arrow can conceivably kill someone 200 yards away. But that's via volley fire on a mass of targets, not single aimed shots. ISTR a quote from somewhere that the practical range limit for a bow is about 30 yards, because any more than that and the target can just step out of the way of the arrow.

Stalker0 said:
I'm hoping long ranged spells are another sacred cow ready for slaughter.
What, you don't like 5th-level wizards throwing fireballs from 600 feet away?

Yeah, me neither. I agree with your post 100%.

Henry

Autoexreginated
hong said:
ISTR a quote from somewhere that the practical range limit for a bow is about 30 yards, because any more than that and the target can just step out of the way of the arrow.

While practical range limit may be true (because of the nature of close combat without any sights or visual aids), the speed of an arrow leaving a bow is in excess of 70 yards per second, which means no one's "getting out of the way" of an arrow that easily; you'd better already have cover.

Wiman

First Post
Completely agree with Stalker, love the close combat mindset as opposed to the kill you before you become a threat that could be found in some occasions before (which to me was not really an encounter).

Lucius Drake

First Post
I quite like the idea of fights taking place in closer quarters too, for reasons that have nothing to do with realism. It makes for faster-paced fights in which rounds at a time are not devoted to simply getting close enough to engage the enemy! :)

Henry said:
While practical range limit may be true (because of the nature of close combat without any sights or visual aids), the speed of an arrow leaving a bow is in excess of 70 yards per second, which means no one's "getting out of the way" of an arrow that easily; you'd better already have cover.

I just had a look at a few bowhunting websites and the bowhunting article on wikipedia, and they seem to put effective range at about 20-25 yards, with 40 yards being the outside. Does anyone here have experience with hunting with the bow?

Celebrim

Legend
Henry said:

If you've ever played paintball, the speeds of a paintball and an arrow are comparable. You can often see it coming, but you can't always get out of the way.

Practical range on a bow is about 40 yards, but closer than that is definately desired.

I've always thought most of the 3.X ranged weapon increments (with the exception of the sling) are about twice as far as they should be.

Remove ads