Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit film and gaming rights up for sale.

darjr

I crit!
Saul Zaentz Co. have decided to sell their rights to Tolkiens works.

It’s not clear to me what this means for The One Ring RPG or Adventures in Middle Earth.

From Vaeriety.
Hollywood is about to stampede into Middle Earth. An array of movie, merchandising, gaming and live event rights to “Lord of the Rings,” “The Hobbit” and other titles from author J.R.R. Tolkien are coming up for auction now that the Saul Zaentz Co. has decided to sell its Tolkien holdings.

First heard about it from Christian Hoffer.

innerdude

Legend
Holy....

This is arguably the biggest media rights business opportunity in history. I'm guessing the final sale price will be more than Disney paid for Star Wars and Marvel combined.

innerdude

Legend
Also, this has no effect on existing licensing contracts. Free League can continue publishing content under the existing agreement until it expires.

The trouble will come when they try to renew. 😛

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Jeff Bezos loading up a mega-yacht full of cash as we speak.
Or Disney is looking at it with an eye on locking up a third major franchise property.

I'd say Warner would be looking at it, but AT&T has them in a mess right now so I doubt they have the money for it...

I'll add that Middle-Earth Enterprises does include tabletop gaming rights. Free League and Games Workshop both are licensees. It wouldn't make an immediate impact, obviously, as the licenses would hold until their expiration dates, but it could be a factor on those games in the long run.

Remove ads