• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Lord Of The Rings - Setting for 4E?

a2ndchapter

Tabletop Scotland & Polyhedral Press Overlord
Purely speculative but I'm wondering about this.

Decipher have recently lost the LOTR RPG license and it would seem to make sense for someone to pick it up. Mongoose have been rumoured to be interested in getting it but other than that I've heard nothing.

Any thoughts? It is after all one of the default fantasy settings out there.

Awakened

First Post
I think their would be all kinds of complicated branding reasons as to why this would be a bad idea, and also a case of "making the setting fit the rules." Wizards would never do something as radical as that, I'm sure.

The_Gneech

Explorer
If they did that, it would probably be a one-off book like CoC and Wheel of Time were, would be my guess.

However, in terms of random prognostication, Gneechwell Predicts! that no, that won't happen.

-The Gneech :cool:

Ranger REG

Explorer
escapistthx said:
Purely speculative but I'm wondering about this.

Decipher have recently lost the LOTR RPG license and it would seem to make sense for someone to pick it up. Mongoose have been rumoured to be interested in getting it but other than that I've heard nothing.

Any thoughts? It is after all one of the default fantasy settings out there.
Only if we boot/discontinue the Eberron setting. :]

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
What the hell is wrong with you, Reg?

Anyway, yeah . . . Middle-Earth just isn't a D&D setting. Thirty years of divergent evolution and never being that close to begin with will do that to you.

Aloïsius

First Post
The Mirrorball Man said:
Actually I think that without a serious and very iconoclast rewriting, Middle Earth would be a very poor setting for a role-playing game.

Yup. Middle-Earth is not the kindergarten style of world we need to play in. Let it sleep in eternal slumber, I don't want PC to use a catapult to send the one ring in Mont Doom... Nor do I want to play in a world where my character will never have the chance to equal the heros of legend.

Ranger REG

Explorer
mhacdebhandia said:
What the hell is wrong with you, Reg?
I get cranky when my birthday comes around.

Besides, WotC should maintain only a few settings. After all, it's bad enough we don't get many Forgotten Realms products these days, not when you compare the slew of accessories during the 1e/2e Era.

I'm also not a fan of the one-book limited run deals. You either maintain the line, or don't think of even starting one at all.

Dyne

First Post
I have a feeling the designers think LotR is far too boring for their "better, stronger, faster" game. At least, I can hope they will never touch my beloved Middle Earth....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads