• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lord of the Rings TV series synopsis

Mercurius

Legend
p.s. I don't know what Tolkien's socio-political views were, or what they would be today, but he was basically a traditionalist and a Romantic, so everything in his work is strongly hued with a sense of decline and devolution. Each successive Age was a further "Fall" from the primordial purity of Aman. Yet Aman still exists as the archetypal "golden country" beyond the bounds of the earth, and the peoples of Middle-earth find peace and well-being to the degree to which they live in harmony with this archetype and divine order. This jives with ancient and esoteric views, as well as that of Gnosticism, or the Ages as the Indian Yugas.

That said, we don't know how Tolkien would have written stories set in later Ages. LotR ends with the beginning of the Fourth Age, which he said was roughly 6,000 years ago. Many myths speak of a return, or a "rise" back up, or a creating of a "New Eden" on Earth. But Tolkien's stories take place during and after the "falling away" phase. I would like to think he would have a somewhat optimistic view, but who knows. I think he felt deep sorrow and even anger at the negative elements of industrial civilization, and loved the natural world.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I tried to read it and got past exactly ZERO pages. I re-read the same few paragraphs about 20 times and decided life's too short for this. I've never even considered giving it another try.
I've heard that for many readers familiar with LOTR it's best to read it in reverse, i.e. read the 3rd Age stuff toward the end of the book first, then the 2nd Age stuff, etc.
I may be in the small minority in liking Water World. Granted, it is mostly the designs and action set pieces I like. Plus a really good score.

John Carter of Mars was a very forgetable film. I think the 5th Element nails that sort of pulp scifi tone much better.

I really like the 13th Warrior.
That is the first time I've ever hear of the two being compared as the same kind of film. I see the two films as fundamentally different, but art criticism is a funny thing, so you be you. :)
Rather interestingly, Depp received some praise for his portrayal of Tonto from the Aboriginal Community, most notably from Comanche Nation Chairman Wallace Coffey. I'd call it a "controversial" choice.
Yeah, I think it's less cut-and-dry than a lot of people want to make it. There's real subtlety and commentary going on in how the character is written and how Depp plays it.

That said, a talented Native actor could have dinner equally and even more interesting things with it.
The Hobbit movies were trash. (Okay, I've only seen the first two. I might someday watch the third one just to watch the battle that supposedly makes up half the run time.)

There's a reason they're as bad as they are. The studio canned director Guillermo del Toro and his two movie plan at the last minute and dragged Peter Jackson in to do them instead as three movies. Poor old PJ had to make most of the crap up as he went along. And boy does it show.
Jackson was not keen on directing it himself, and the plan was for two movies, until during filming the studios said they wanted three. You can't do that and get good movies, although there's probably some exception in the history of film-making I'm not thinking of.
I enjoyed the first Hobbit movie despite its many flaws. But with the other two movies it all fell apart, and it became painfully obvious that this should have been two movies at the most.

There are a few fan edits that trim the trilogy down to 2 movies, or even 1, and it makes for a much better viewing experience. The fan edits cut all of the fan service, unnecessary cameos and everything with Legolas. It turns a bad trilogy into a some what passable film.
I watched a 4 hour and 20 minute fan edit recently and, aside from a couple of slightly jarring cuts that no one else in the family noticed, it was thoroughly enjoyable.
Funny even though I read the Hobbit, watched the animated movie, had the picture book based on the movie and went to play of it all as a kid, I never realized it was written as a childrens book. I just kind of took it as a book everyone read. Guess Im just oblivious to the finer points of life sometimes.
I know Token wrote it ostensibly for his kids, but did he think of it as a "children's book"? It does not read that way to me as an adult.
That's how I look at it. I honestly don't care if it gets Tolkien "right" or not, as long as it's good fantasy. I see a lot of potential in this project, using a very rich setting to tell a mostly-new story. I hope they keep the fan-service to a minimum.
I feel the same way. I don't expect a faithful adaptation, just an "inspired by" version of some cool stuff from the 2nd Age.
Hobbits don't exist in Middle Earth in the 2nd Age. They do not even move west and settle the Shire until midway through the 3rd Age. So if there is even one of them in this series, that will be a serious screw-up.
I'm not sure if we know whether they existed or not in the 2nd Age - they just don't enter into anyone else's reckoning until the 3rd Age.
Pretty sure that is already confirmed. Any of the Elves, except younger ones like Arwen, could be in it because they are immortal and have been around since the 1st Age.

But we can also be pretty sure there will not be any Wizards, no matter how much Ian wants to play Gandalf again, since they were not sent to Middle Earth til the 3rd Age? Of course, that is assuming that the entire series stays in the 2nd Age.
The beings who became the Istari were around in some form during the 2nd Age, so...maybe we'll see them?
Well, I do love Cate. Can't really have too much Cate Blanchett.
Her otherworldly approach to Galadriel is one of my favorite things in those movies.
p.s. I don't know what Tolkien's socio-political views were, or what they would be today, but he was basically a traditionalist and a Romantic, so everything in his work is strongly hued with a sense of decline and devolution. Each successive Age was a further "Fall" from the primordial purity of Aman. Yet Aman still exists as the archetypal "golden country" beyond the bounds of the earth, and the peoples of Middle-earth find peace and well-being to the degree to which they live in harmony with this archetype and divine order. This jives with ancient and esoteric views, as well as that of Gnosticism, or the Ages as the Indian Yugas.

That said, we don't know how Tolkien would have written stories set in later Ages. LotR ends with the beginning of the Fourth Age, which he said was roughly 6,000 years ago. Many myths speak of a return, or a "rise" back up, or a creating of a "New Eden" on Earth. But Tolkien's stories take place during and after the "falling away" phase. I would like to think he would have a somewhat optimistic view, but who knows. I think he felt deep sorrow and even anger at the negative elements of industrial civilization, and loved the natural world.
Tolkien started writing a 4th Age story, and what little he wrote is in the last History of Middle Earth volume. He abandoned it because, IIRC, it ultimately seemed anti-climactic and sort of depressing, with orc cults and the like developing. Perhaps too prophetic. ;)

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Now I personally don't like the message of "don't challenge the gods," but I think that is an overly simplistic reading of what Tolkien was saying, which included elements of Icarus and Greek stories of hubris, which aren't simply divine powers being jerks and saying "know your place," but expositions of the problems of egotism and excessive pride.
Not only that, but what’s at stake in Ilúvatar’s decision to destroy Númenor and its fleet is the nature of the Gift and its role in the healing of Arda. Númenor had become an instrument of Morgoth due to the shadow of fear he had cast over death, and the Valar were forbidden from using their power to oppose them. If they had been allowed to prevail, the world would have fallen into darkness, and its subsequent history would have been very different with no path towards the healing of the marring of Morgoth. It’s really the moment when Morgoth could have won, which is why Ilúvatar had to intercede.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yep that.

And, on an even deeper level, it returns to the same point of defying divinity. Because, as an early fantasy writer, Tolkien was not really set up to discuss why immortality is a bad idea, other than "Eru said so."

Except that, in this construction, the rule is chosen, set and enforced by a sentient being. Eru made the world. There is an order to it, and you may not defy that order, or by Eru's will you will be destroyed. The ultimate message is know your place, which is very authoritarian and classist, I'm afraid.

Oh, LotR has its problems. Mostly it is less an issue than the Drowning of Numenor, as it isn't about the The Man smacking down people who defy their arbitrary class rules.
This is all an incredible leap that I think vanishingly few people would remotely take away from the story.

MarkB

Legend
This is all an incredible leap that I think vanishingly few people would remotely take away from the story.
Really? Because all the discussion of it in this thread makes it sound straight out of the Old Testament, somewhere between Noah's Ark and Soddom and Gomorrah.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Really? Because all the discussion of it in this thread makes it sound straight out of the Old Testament, somewhere between Noah's Ark and Soddom and Gomorrah.
I’ve never met anyone who takes a vaguely “classist” lesson from those stories.

Even the idea of equating the wrath of god with classist violence is...completely incredible. Preposterous.

Hriston

I'm not sure why sounding "straight out of the Old Testament" equates to a classist message, especially when so much of the Bible deals with themes of liberation from injustice and oppression. That being said, I think that yes, the biblical Flood is probably one of the main influences on the Downfall of Númenor along with the legend of Atlantis. The Tower of Babel also comes to mind, as does the Garden of Eden. I think Babel is an apt comparison because, like much of Tolkien's subject matter, the story of Númenor is especially concerned with power. At the end of the Second Age, the Númenoreans are at their height and represent humanity in the fullness of its power. Literally nothing on earth can stop them. Their fleet, the Armament, is the greatest fighting force that ever existed or will exist. And they, like most men, are consumed by the fear of death, the lie of Morgoth. The whispering council of Sauron has turned their king, Ar-Pharazôn, the most powerful king who ever lived, into an Antichrist, capable of conquering even the deathless lands of Aman, the image (but not the reality) of Arda Unmarred. Once conquered by mortals, rather than conferring immortality upon them as Sauron has promised, it would itself cease to be deathless, and death would enter the last place untouched by that corrupting influence. The Valar cannot wield their power against Ilúvatar’s Children to prevent this. Either they will be unhoused from their habitation on earth, or the Númenoreans’ seat of power must be destroyed. In this way, Ilúvatar has liberated Valinor and the world from the oppression of Númenor.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'm not sure why sounding "straight out of the Old Testament" equates to a classist message, especially when so much of the Bible deals with themes of liberation from injustice and oppression. That being said, I think that yes, the biblical Flood is probably one of the main influences on the Downfall of Númenor along with the legend of Atlantis. The Tower of Babel also comes to mind, as does the Garden of Eden. I think Babel is an apt comparison because, like much of Tolkien's subject matter, the story of Númenor is especially concerned with power. At the end of the Second Age, the Númenoreans are at their height and represent humanity in the fullness of its power. Literally nothing on earth can stop them. Their fleet, the Armament, is the greatest fighting force that ever existed or will exist. And they, like most men, are consumed by the fear of death, the lie of Morgoth. The whispering council of Sauron has turned their king, Ar-Pharazôn, the most powerful king who ever lived, into an Antichrist, capable of conquering even the deathless lands of Aman, the image (but not the reality) of Arda Unmarred. Once conquered by mortals, rather than conferring immortality upon them as Sauron has promised, it would itself cease to be deathless, and death would enter the last place untouched by that corrupting influence. The Valar cannot wield their power against Ilúvatar’s Children to prevent this. Either they will be unhoused from their habitation on earth, or the Númenoreans’ seat of power must be destroyed. In this way, Ilúvatar has liberated Valinor and the world from the oppression of Númenor.
I've never gotten the flood from the sinking of Numenor, but I have made the connection to Atlantis.

Hriston

I've never gotten the flood from the sinking of Numenor, but I have made the connection to Atlantis.
Aside from a literal act of God bringing about its destruction (and flooding), I think the point of resemblance for me is the escape of the Faithful (Elendil, his sons, and their people) from the disaster on ships furnished at the behest of Amandil. Also, the makeup of the crew of Amandil’s voyage west to seek the aid of the Valar, comprised of himself and three faithful servants, suggests to me a resemblance to Noah and his three sons.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Aside from a literal act of God bringing about its destruction (and flooding), I think the point of resemblance for me is the escape of the Faithful (Elendil, his sons, and their people) from the disaster on ships furnished at the behest of Amandil. Also, the makeup of the crew of Amandil’s voyage west to seek the aid of the Valar, comprised of himself and three faithful servants, suggests to me a resemblance to Noah and his three sons.
To me sinking is not the same as flooding. Also, Amandil only had one son, Elendil. He took three servants with him west and was never heard from again.

Remove ads