• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lose a Limb

op1983

First Post
I'm having trouble locating in the DnD 4th books where to find limb loss or other very serious injuries. As well as the recovery of such grievous wounds.

Shroomy

Adventurer
I'm having trouble locating in the DnD 4th books where to find limb loss or other very serious injuries. As well as the recovery of such grievous wounds.

There aren't any such rules in the WoTC 4e books. Though, as a house rule, you could use the disease track to simulate these kinds of injuries and their recovery.

Janx

Hero
I don't have 4E to tell you the answer.

However, I'd be surprised if there were rules. From what I can tell, D&D has never focussed on hit locations or specific injuries. So barring custom rules (say Dragon Magazine or another product), I don't think there really are any.

Part of it is that HP sort of represents your physical body as well as some measure of "avoiding serious injury".

If you get into specific and serious injuries, you can quite easily disable a PC beyond playability. Most players hate losing limbs, and if you "spared them a death" by forcing a limb loss instead, some number of them would have actually preferred death (of the PC).

Dragonbait

Explorer
I'm having trouble locating in the DnD nth books where to find limb loss or other very serious injuries, where n = any edition. As well as the recovery of such grievous wounds.

FIFY

This always baffles particular players in every group I've ever run. Some just do not understand the abstract nature of AC and HP, even after playing for years. They are still surprised that the can't one-shot enemies by just declaring that they are attacking someone's neck or head and they just can't cut off someone's hand with a called shot to the wrist (in editions that had called shots).

Janx said:
If you get into specific and serious injuries, you can quite easily disable a PC beyond playability. Most players hate losing limbs, and if you "spared them a death" by forcing a limb loss instead, some number of them would have actually preferred death (of the PC).
Quoted for truth

D'karr

Adventurer
They are still surprised that the can't one-shot enemies by just declaring that they are attacking someone's neck or head and they just can't cut off someone's hand with a called shot to the wrist (in editions that had called shots).

Surprise them one day and have all the creatures attack their eyes, necks and hands. After a few rounds of mutilation, they MIGHT understand why the game does not concentrate on that type of combat.

armorclass10

First Post
The only DnD product I recall having hit locations was "Blackmoor". If you want to mke up your own system check out Rolemsters crit. charts, of course you have to modify it to work with 4th edition.

And like another poster said, just remember the creatures can use the mutilation system also.....just saying LOL.:lol:

Imperialus

Explorer

I quite like Rel's "serious injury" rules. It strikes a nice balance between "ZOMG! That HURT!" and "Frank is rolling up a new character because his Paladin lost an arm." The only modification I've made to it is that after you recover from a serious injury you are somehow 'marked' in a purely roleplaying fashion. Maybe you have a prominent scar, maybe your knee aches when it's about to rain, stuff like that.

The only time I ever maimed a character was a PC who had a hand cut off after being caught stealing in a Lawful Neutral society. I talked with the player ahead of time though, made sure he was OK with it, and a little later on provided him with a magic prosthetic hand that gave him a few bonus'.

Aus_Snow

First Post
You could try adapting/converting 'Torn Asunder: Critical Hits' (a 3e supplement from Bastion Press) to 4e. I'm not sure how easy that would be (not a 4e player) but I imagine it wouldn't be too hard, really.

Great book, anyhow, and it might give you some ideas, if nothing else. It covers detailed critical hits, called shots, and a number of other related things.

armorclass10

First Post
Come to think of it I saw something in my FLGS, 3PP can't recall the name of the product or the company right now....real big help I am, sorry but I will try and track it down. It dealt with critical hits BUT I think it may have dealt with hit locations also.

Found it
DriveThruRPG.com - Final Redoubt Press - Critical Matters (Combat Essentials 1)

I was just about to say I was getting old and couldn't recall, now I'm just getting old.

I would recommend buying the pdf if you decide to do so, my FLGS was selling the print version for 19.99 I believe.

armorclass10

First Post
Woops...I bought it LOL. I'm going to see what it's like, my player's love this kind of stuff so I will make them happy if I think I like what I see. It has some optional rules dealing with damage which at first glance looks interesting and there are also a bunch of critical hit charts for different types of attacks (slashing, grappling, acid, etc. etc.).

It looks scary...not as scary as Arms Law/Claw Law from I.C.E. but still scary and it's worth it IMO at first glance.

LOL Foe is Dead and all his metal equipment is magnetized.

Thanks for starting this thread I hope my players like it.

Remove ads