• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Losing limbs

Tauric

First Post
Hello all,

I was wondering, is there any mechanic in the PF rules (core or peripheral) that addresses losing limbs?

I mean, we all know of the peg leg pirate, or the hook handed pirate, or the pit fighter with a knife for a hand, but how did they get that way, within the rules? Even setting aside the existence of regenerating spells, there is no way that I know of (outside vorpal sword, and that's just the head) to cut off a specific part of the body. There are no called shots, and the HP system is built to be abstract, so you may say "the orc's sword bites into your arm", but really, they just lose 6 HP, and there is no way to enforce an arm injury.

Now, it's not that I want to make combat an even more tedious, long winded, number crunch than it already is, but I would like some way to provide an in-system way to justify meeting NPC, or creating a PC, with a missing limb.

Background: recently, one of my fellow players played a dwarf name Little Willie One Stump, who had a peg leg. Since it was a one-off adventure, we just ignored the game ramifications, but it got me thinking about the subject. In addition, I am making a scenario for when my turn behind the screen (we rotate DMs) that involves a wizard who has retired from adventuring and is going to hire the PCs. To answer the inevitable question of "why doesn't he just do it himself", I was going to have him be one-legged. But as far as I know, there is no way to become one legged in the game, so I am asking the collected knowledge here if there is a way that I do not know of, or if I am just going to have to hand-wave it.

I thank you in advance for any help.

T

Ghostwind

First Post
Next month, Torn Asunder: Critical Hits PFRPG edition will be released that will give you a very in-depth section on artificial limbs that was written by a certified prostethic therapist. Your FLGS can preorder it now through their distributor or you will also be able to get it through Paizo.

Tauric

First Post
So I was basically a month early with asking my question? Well, I've already got Strategists and Tacticians in my shopping cart at Paizo, when the time comes I'll have to pick up the other as well.

Thanks, Ghostwind

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads