D&D 1E Losing spells at zero hp?

Back in the day in AD&D, I remember that when our casters were dropped to zero hp, and subsequently got back up from healing, they lost all their spells. Once they rested for the evening they regained them. That was a house rule, yes?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Back in the Day in AD&D, zero hit points meant you were dead: ("If any creature reaxches 0 or negative hit points, it is dead" -- PHB p. 105).

(non magical healing was 1 hp/day, with 5hp/day after a month!).

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Back in the day in AD&D, I remember that when our casters were dropped to zero hp, and subsequently got back up from healing, they lost all their spells. Once they rested for the evening they regained them. That was a house rule, yes?
From the 1e DMG page 82

"When any creature is brought to 0 hit points (optionally as low as -3 hit points if from the same blow which brought the total to 0), it is unconscious. In each of the next succeeding rounds 1 additional (negative) point will be lost until -10 is reached and the creature dies. Such loss and death are caused from bleeding, shock, convulsions, non-respiration, and similar causes. It ceases immediately on any round a friendly creature administers aid to the unconscious one. Aid consists of binding wounds, starting respiration, administering a draught (spirits, healing potion, etc.), or otherwise doing whatever is necessary to restore life.

Any character brought to 0 (or fewer) hit points and then revived will remain in a coma far 1-6 turns. Thereafter, he or she must rest for a full week, minimum. He or she will be incapable of any activity other than that necessary to move slowly to a place of rest and eat and sleep when there. The character cannot attack, defend, cast spells, use magic devices, carry burdens, run, study, research, or do anything else. This is true even if cure spells and/or healing potions are given to him or her, although if a heal spell is bestowed the prohibition no longer applies."

So no loss of memorized spells, but also no getting back up with a healing spell and doing anything right away. I think the loss of spells came from when you died and were brought back

Weirdly enough it is now a high level feature of the newest 5e Wizard subclass (Order of Scribes). WotC was watching your home game!

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
In 2e, if you use the optional rule "Hovering on Death's Door", spells are wiped out from memory and I backported this rule in 1e. However, as posted above, the official rules don't mention that, so if you are reduced to negative HPs and then receive a Heal spell, you can cast whatever you had still memorized.

So no loss of memorized spells, but also no getting back up with a healing spell and doing anything right away. I think the loss of spells came from when you died and were brought back
For 1E at least, this is the correct answer. The rules simply did not address the loss of spells upon death/reaching 0 hit points, but it was clear that reaching 0 - regardless of whatever else then happened - meant your PC was down for a week to recover with NO spellcasting. Letting a PC get back up and do things immediately after reaching 0 simply for being healed to at least 1 hit point would indeed be a clear house rule. But a rule of having lost all their memorized spells in the process would still be a distinct bonus over the written rules.

Remove ads