• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 2E Lost a spell - 2E.

Darmanicus

I'm Ray...of Enfeeblement
In the campaign I'm playing my character is a Sculptor of Chaos from the Wild Spellcraft book. When I used to play 2E there was a 1st/2nd lv cleric spell called Chaos Shield or something like that that had a random chance to deflect all sorts of attacks. Could anyone out there possibly look this up for me as I don't have access to the 2E books and I wish to convert it to 3.5E so that my mage can use it. I'd also appreciate any help with the conversion if anyone could spare the time. Any other ideas re chaotic arcane spells would be much appreciated also, cheers.

Storm Raven

First Post
Darmanicus said:
In the campaign I'm playing my character is a Sculptor of Chaos from the Wild Spellcraft book. When I used to play 2E there was a 1st/2nd lv cleric spell called Chaos Shield or something like that that had a random chance to deflect all sorts of attacks. Could anyone out there possibly look this up for me as I don't have access to the 2E books and I wish to convert it to 3.5E so that my mage can use it. I'd also appreciate any help with the conversion if anyone could spare the time. Any other ideas re chaotic arcane spells would be much appreciated also, cheers.

Perhaps you should look at the description for the 3e spell entropic shield.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Darmanicus said:
What does that spell do?
When you're at work and have no rulebooks to hand, what you need is the SRD, located here: http://www.wizards.com/D20/article.asp?x=srd35

Entropic Shield
Abjuration

Level: Clr 1, Luck 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 min./level (D)

A magical field appears around you, glowing with a chaotic blast of multicolored hues. This field deflects incoming arrows, rays, and other ranged attacks. Each ranged attack directed at you for which the attacker must make an attack roll has a 20% miss chance (similar to the effects of concealment). Other attacks that simply work at a distance are not affected.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Chaos Shield (Abjuration/Wild Magic)
Level 2
Range: 0
Duration: 1d10 rounds +2/level
Casting Time: 2
Area of Effect: The caster
Saving Throw: Special

Blah blah blah.... the spell imbues the wild mage with special protection against the effects of wild surges. It protects only against wild surges caused by the caster's own spells... When a surge affects the caster he gets a save vs. magic; if successful the surge's effect is negated... doesn't protect against surges caused by its own casting... negates both harmful and helpful surges, only protects the caster (so a surge that affects everyone within 20' will affect everyone except the caster).

In a nutshell, there it is.

Darmanicus

Still lost!

the Jester said:
Chaos Shield (Abjuration/Wild Magic)
Level 2
Range: 0
Duration: 1d10 rounds +2/level
Casting Time: 2
Area of Effect: The caster
Saving Throw: Special

Blah blah blah.... the spell imbues the wild mage with special protection against the effects of wild surges. It protects only against wild surges caused by the caster's own spells... When a surge affects the caster he gets a save vs. magic; if successful the surge's effect is negated... doesn't protect against surges caused by its own casting... negates both harmful and helpful surges, only protects the caster (so a surge that affects everyone within 20' will affect everyone except the caster).

In a nutshell, there it is.

Thanks for the reply there Jester but that's not the one. The spell gave you a small AC bonus I think and then you rolled a percentile die for each incoming attack, referring to a table to see what it did if anything. I'm definitely sure it's a cleric spell also.

the Jester

Legend
Darmanicus said:
Thanks for the reply there Jester but that's not the one. The spell gave you a small AC bonus I think and then you rolled a percentile die for each incoming attack, referring to a table to see what it did if anything. I'm definitely sure it's a cleric spell also.

Ahh, okay, it's actually called Battlefate... and it's actually only a cleric spell.

Battlefate (Alteration)
Sphere: Chaos
Range: 20 yards
Duration: 2 rds/level
Area of Effect: 1 creature
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 4
Saving Throw: None

This spell alters probability to favor one creature... the more powerful the caster, the more potent the aid; combat modifiers provided are +1 per three levels (rounded up)- +2 at 4th, +3 at 7th, to a maximum of +5 at 13th level... the form of the assistance is rolled each round:

d6--Effect
1----Nothing happens
2----Apply bonus to AC
3----Apply bonus to saves
4----Apply bonus to attack rolls
5----Apply bonus to damage rolls
6----Lucky opening, get one extra attack with either enhanced accuracy or damage (subject's choice).

Material component: an electrum coin (which might be a lot rarer in 3e!! :p)

Darmanicus

the Jester said:
Actually, there may have been another wild magic spell like what you're describing, I'll have to check my ol' Tome of Magic.

Sorry about delay in reply Jester, I can only use PC at work. Talking about Tome of Magic, during our session last night the DM mentioned that that would be the best book to check out and I must admit, it did ring a bell. Since we don't have the book though I'd appreciate your efforts in locating the little bugger, cheers! :)

Darmanicus

the Jester said:
Actually, there may have been another wild magic spell like what you're describing, I'll have to check my ol' Tome of Magic.

Oh yeah that Battlefate spell looks cool!

Remove ads