'Lost' creators: We know where we're going

LightPhoenix

First Post
Recent interviews (Link (Has Spoilers!) seem to indicate that while ABC might want the show to go on forever, they also suggest that ABC is well aware that Lost isn't really going anywhere.

While I don't doubt that the producers want Lost to end at a certain point, I think if ABC weren't pushing, the show would be in that perpetual state of not going anywhere just like it was in the second season. That is to say, I think there would be a very marked dragging in the middle section, just like there was last season.

I'm all for mysteries, but I think that it's possible to have mysteries and to have a story that's in motion, and I think Heroes is a very good example of that. Oh wait, what show was Carlton Cuse knocking? Right, Heroes. A little jealousy perhaps?

Welverin

First Post
LightPhoenix said:
While I don't doubt that the producers want Lost to end at a certain point, I think if ABC weren't pushing, the show would be in that perpetual state of not going anywhere just like it was in the second season. That is to say, I think there would be a very marked dragging in the middle section, just like there was last season.

I first started watching the show over the summer when I borrowed the dvds and I found the pace of revelations in both seasons to be about the same. They both started off slow and ramped things up at the end and the start of season three seemed to be following the exact same pattern. Though it's hard to judge with the small sample size.

However, the part of the article that intrigues me the most was this:
ABC Entertainment president Stephen McPherson said they might be right, and next year he wants to go the route Fox does with "24," running all 20-something episodes consecutively with no repeats.

I think it's desperately important for a show like this to avoid long breaks between episodes and there's no good reason they can't be avoided.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I am only a few episodes into the second season...

But honestly, I'm not really concerned with the advancement of the metaplot. It can be slow, just so long as the character development keeps up, and the interactions remain interesting. For me, the mystery is a backdrop for the more personal elements.

Agamon

Adventurer
I'm with Umbran. The pace doesn't bother me, unless the pace leads to boredom, which isn't the case with Lost.

Welverin

First Post
Umbran said:

But honestly, I'm not really concerned with the advancement of the metaplot. It can be slow, just so long as the character development keeps up, and the interactions remain interesting. For me, the mystery is a backdrop for the more personal elements.

Every episodes explores some characters past , so that's not an issue.

I haven't had an issue with the overall plot advancement and doubt I will, but then I watched everything within a few of months time and didn't have to wait long to see how things went.

Darth Shoju

First Post
Umbran said:

Here here. The characters are what it is all about for me too. I find that most storylines that hinge on some big twist ending or reveal can't possibly live up to the anticipation; it's almost a given that the end will be at least a little disappointing. As far as I am concerned, the meat of the story is in the characters and as long as they are interesting then the ending isn't as important (though not insignificant).

I think a perfect example of this was DCs Identity Crisis mini-series. Not the best ending in the world, but some great character development along the way. The murder mystery wasn't even really the main plot IMO. I found it to be a really compelling read.

dravot

First Post
Darth Shoju said:
Here here. The characters are what it is all about for me too. I find that most storylines that hinge on some big twist ending or reveal can't possibly live up to the anticipation; it's almost a given that the end will be at least a little disappointing. As far as I am concerned, the meat of the story is in the characters and as long as they are interesting then the ending isn't as important (though not insignificant).

I think a perfect example of this was DCs Identity Crisis mini-series. Not the best ending in the world, but some great character development along the way. The murder mystery wasn't even really the main plot IMO. I found it to be a really compelling read.

Up until this season, I was in complete agreement with you. I get that it's about the characters, and the island is a backdrop, but I was annoyed that Jack, Sawyer and Kate spent 6 episodes with the Others and we learned NOTHING about them.

Heroes and BSG have their mysteries too, but they're better at dealing with them. In BSG, the mysteries are truly secondary. Whether they get answered has little effect on the show. Heroes does a good job of setting a pace of answering some mysteries and setting up others.

I'll watch the next few episodes of Lost, but if it doesn't start satisfying new-found itches, I'll probably stop watching. Considering that Lost has a declining viewership (25% drop over season one), it sounds like I'm not alone.

Last edited:

Remove ads