Lost In Space *spoilers*

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Seems pretty decent so far, with the first season under my belt.

I was curious to see just how different this series would be compared to the old standby and the movie adaptation. Part of me was sort of hoping the Resolute would be equally lost and it would be the whole community we get to work with.

Oh wells. I still enjoy the differences this series displays.

My only issues are with some of the problems the group runs into that feels forced. Or as if Murphy's Law is super relevant on this planet.
I also question some of the Dr. Smith's motivations or thoughts behind what she is doing as is seems counter to her end goal of getting off the planet and having a fresh start.

I do like how awful she is and how convinced she is a good person and not a monster. I find her duplicity delicious.

Derren

Hero
her end goal of getting off the planet and having a fresh start.

Also, weren't it for "the thing" discovered way later in the series there would not be any better fresh start than this planet. Perfectly situated in the goldilock zone, breathable atmosphere with a biosphere unerringly similar to earth so that it might even be liveable without any modification.
If there would be any place which one would colonize than it would be this.

So why would colonists want to get away from that? They should tell the others to come down, too.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Also, weren't it for "the thing" discovered way later in the series there would not be any better fresh start than this planet. Perfectly situated in the goldilock zone, breathable atmosphere with a biosphere unerringly similar to earth so that it might even be liveable without any modification.
If there would be any place which one would colonize than it would be this.

So why would colonists want to get away from that? They should tell the others to come down, too.

It takes a certain type of person to want to live a frontier/colonist's life. Honestly, I don't think Dr. Smith is one of those people.

While she wants a fresh start, she still carries all of that other stuff from Earth with her. We can see this when she falls to her old ways quite readily. Part of that is of course out of a sense of urgency. Though she lies to West from the get go essentially, even when she doesn't need to.

No. She probably wouldn't like life on that planet, even if they could stay there. She may not even want what the colony life on Alpha Centuri is.

Derren

Hero
It takes a certain type of person to want to live a frontier/colonist's life. Honestly, I don't think Dr. Smith is one of those people.

Maybe not Smith, but the other settlers probably are. Yet everyone can't think of anything else than how to get away from the planet, even before they knew about the "problem".

Last edited:

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Maybe not Smith, but the other settlers probably are. Yet everyone can't think of anything else than how to get away from the planet, even before they knew about the "problem".

It isn't where they are meant to be. They are trying to get to Alpha Centuri where the other 20 some colony groups have gone. I mean sure, if there wasn't an established planet where Humanity was meeting up at, then this planet would be fairly desirable. That just isn't the case in this story. They presumably have a community they are trying to get to and this planet while probably worth noting, isn't their destination.

If I were trying to get to move to California, and suddenly my car broke down, or I became lost in a different place just as hospitable, I would still want to get to California, my intended destination.

Remove ads