Lost In Translation: Adapting Fictional Characters To Games

There are two ways of rating fictional characters that you want to add to role-playing games (and other types of games as well). These are the functional method and the emotional/perceptual method (for want of a better name).

There are two ways of rating fictional characters that you want to add to role-playing games (and other types of games as well). These are the functional method and the emotional/perceptual method (for want of a better name).

What's the difference? The functional depends on what the character can actually do, without regard to what others can do. The emotional/perceptual depends on the character's relation to the rest of the world. In that second method, a very powerful character will be rated as similar to the most powerful characters in the game rules you're using, regardless of what the character can actually do.

An example from my own experience was my introductory D&D adventure through Moria, published in White Dwarf more than 35 years ago. There were no Lord of the Rings (LOTR) movies at that time, but most prospective players had read LOTR. The party of player adventurers were the Fellowship of the Ring. Assuming most players had read LOTR, I let new players play the familiar characters to make it easier for them to understand what was going on. (Keep in mind, RPGs were relatively new at the time; even today there are many millions who have no idea how an RPG works.)

I relied on what the characters could actually do. Consequently, Aragorn was a seventh level ranger with a magic sword (keep in mind this was first edition D&D) and Gandalf was an eighth level cleric with a Ring of Fire and a magic sword. At seventh rangers got an extra attack every other round, and had a lot of hit points with high constitution required (and one extra D8). Gandalf could not raise the dead as a ninth level cleric could, hence the limit to eighth - and even at eighth, the D&D cleric uses a lot more magic than Gandalf. (Gimli and Legolas were fourth fighters, and I gave the hobbits an extra level to second.) If the party included experienced players, they played Gandalf and Aragorn.

Some readers wanted these characters to have sky-high levels because they were so much more powerful than virtually anyone else in Middle-earth. "But they were two of the most powerful figures in the world!" is the emotional/perceptual response. Yes, but it's a world almost entirely lacking in powerful figures, and in magic, compared with the typical FRP world. Imagine Gandalf as a 17th level cleric creating one miracle (in Middle-earth terms) after another. If Gandalf had been anywhere near the level some readers desired, he would have been a god within Middle-earth's low magic setting. Or imagine Aragorn at 16th level, slaughtering trolls, ogres, giants, wholesale.

So I focused on the functional, believing that the emotional follows in the long run. In this case Aragorn and Gandalf are still very powerful compared with the other characters. The only similarly powerful character involved was the Balrog, which was probably more powerful than either Aragorn or Gandalf just as in the book itself. (Keep in mind the Balrog back then was much less powerful than the Balrog is in D&D now - AC2, 10 hit dice, two good attacks (2-12 and 3-18), needed +3 weapons to hit IIRC.)

So I just avoided the ridiculous, avoided giving far too many choices to the players, and also avoided the problem that Advanced D&D mechanisms broke down when you got much into double-figure levels. It just didn't work anymore.

Functionality is part of modeling, characterized by a term called "correspondence," or less mellifluously "analogousness." My word allowance doesn't let me go into details here, I can only summarize. There are three questions to ask (generalized for all games, not just RPGs):

• Do the actions of the player-controlled characters/assets in the game correspond with what happens in real life (or the fictional reality) we're modeling?
  • Does the non-player activity in the game correspond to what happens in the (possibly fictional) reality we're trying to represent?
  • Do the strategies a player follows correspond to something in that reality?

Gandalf as a 17th (or more) level cleric will result in No's for all these questions, as will Aragorn at 16th+ level ranger. But at the levels I chose, we can get Yeses.

contributed by Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio
The only risk I see with running well known fictional characters such as Aragorn or Gandalf is when you give them hard stats you limit them to your imagination, and that's where the conflict comes in. Unlike the NPCs you create, a well known fictional character already exists in the popular imagination. Adding them to your D&D game is like the DM taking over someone's PC, because it's you controlling a character they already played. We all played Bilbo, Thorin, Gandalf, and even Smaug when we read "The Hobbit". For a DM to start playing "our characters" wouldn't seem right.

Of course, I use characters like Gandalf, Thorin, and Smaug in my games, but I make them my own. As a DM, I take NPCs who are helpful but have their own agenda, their own missions, and must attend to them. Just like Gandalf showing up and running off, my NPCs might do the same. It gives them depth. Also, it gives them a reason to deny the PCs or at least tell them the world is bigger than their current quest. Just so I not guilty of Chekhov's Gun I make sure their agenda is aligned, even if it's out of the way. In this respect I can take away from these characters' their best traits: personality, drive, passion, demeanor, and failings. Gandalf feared to look into the Palantir, but Aragon did so and saw into the mind of Sauron thus revealing the plot. Things like this are useful in game where all of the PCs have a low Wisdom or Charisma save. Introduce an NPC who will not likely fail, and connects to the larger world. These NPCs lack the might to get to the next stage but serve as a plot device to advance the story and keep the PCs connected to the world (less murder hoboes, more murder heroes).

lewpuls

Hero
In the Moria adventure I was using the LOTR character motivation and personality to make play easier for newbies; but I had to express those characters in terms of the game mechanisms.

Aside from this use, I cannot recall ever introducing literary/movie/comic fictional characters into my campaigns.

"Styling an NPC to be like Gandalf is absolutely NOT what the OP was talking about and is a completely unrelated endevour."
Hmmm . . . aside from the use planned for the NPC, how would it be different?

I always keep in mind that movie/comic/novel protagonists are usually very, very lucky. It's one of the attractions of this kind of fiction, really.

And as someone said, sometimes writers give a capability to a character because it's convenient (or necessary) to the story they're writing.

I think if I were to run a campaign in a setting of a well known franchise (LOTR/Star Wars/Jurassic Park), my first act as a DM would probably be to kill one of the core characters of that franchise off. Just start with Gandalf or Luke Skywalker dying, and don't bring them back to life.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Interestingly, 1st edition Stormbringer has a small section on playing Elric, which I thought was interesting. As a player it never occurred to me to want to be the fictional character, constrained by their actions and motivations. But I guess there was a desire among some groups to do just that.

Your post is invisible on a black background.

Jhaelen

First Post
I think if I were to run a campaign in a setting of a well known franchise (LOTR/Star Wars/Jurassic Park), my first act as a DM would probably be to kill one of the core characters of that franchise off. Just start with Gandalf or Luke Skywalker dying, and don't bring them back to life.
Yup, that's my preferred approach, as well. It serves as an early demonstration that you don't feel bound to canon and anything might happen in your campaign.

E.g. in my 2e Dark Sun campaign, Rikus was killed after his failed attempt to assassinate Kalak. He still managed to wound Kalak badly and disrupt the ritual that should have turned Kalak into a dragon, forcing Kalak to make a disappearance...

The xp-for-treasure rule is weird. You wouldn't think it would be necessary to tie money to personal power in a non-simulationist way. That D&D PCs would pursue wealth for the same reason or reasons everyone in our world does.

The amount of treasure was, roughly, related to the level / danger of the creature. Most monsters only had treasure in their lair. A creature is generally more dangerous in its lair; we always thought of the GP / XP thing as a bonus for taking on the creature in it's lair, be it an Orc tribe or a Dragon. Monsters in their lair were on their home turf. Knowledge of terrain, traps, larger numbers, and special guards or defenses made it rough. If it was played properly. The treasure in the dungeon was usable by the monster (if possible) or incidental / a sign of how dangerous something was. The GP / XP bit made the large XP requirements to level up more attainable. Making "Lord" (a 9th level Fighter) took 240,000 XP. The XP award for a 1 HD Orc was 100 in the original booklets (typically 100 XP per level + bonuses), but this was cut in the Greyhawk Supplement. An Orc netted a whopping 10 XP iirc at that point. The adjustment for the level of XP versus the level of monster made "farming" low level creatures less viable and forced PCs to look for more level appropriate enemies.

Besides, as you point out, money buys cool stuff. It could be viewed as its own reward, but in a level based game where cool stuff was tied to character level (i.e. a Fighters stronghold at 9th level) it made sense to tie GP into XP / level.

All imho, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads