D&D 5E Lost Laboratory of Kwalish: A D&D Adventure For Charity

WotC has released a 60-page adventure called Lost Laboratory of Kwalish over on DMs Guild, the proceeds for which go towards the Extra Life charity. "Lost Laboratory of Kwalish explores an alternate expedition into the Barrier Peaks. The legendary inventor disappeared in the peaks eons ago… as it turns out, finding a crashed planar ship and studying its technology to fuel his own experiments—only now, Kwalish’s lost research is desperately needed!"

WotC has released a 60-page adventure called Lost Laboratory of Kwalish over on DMs Guild, the proceeds for which go towards the Extra Life charity. "Lost Laboratory of Kwalish explores an alternate expedition into the Barrier Peaks. The legendary inventor disappeared in the peaks eons ago… as it turns out, finding a crashed planar ship and studying its technology to fuel his own experiments—only now, Kwalish’s lost research is desperately needed!"

kwalish.jpg

Here's the full product info:

Lost Laboratory of Kwalish explores an alternate expedition into the Barrier Peaks. The legendary inventor disappeared in the peaks eons ago… as it turns out, finding a crashed planar ship and studying its technology to fuel his own experiments—only now, Kwalish’s lost research is desperately needed!

For characters 5th-10th level.

This adventure explores two locations within the Barrier Peaks, and includes new monsters, magic items, and spells, plus sci-fi trinkets, random encounters, and even rumors of the area submitted by the player community! Further featuring new art, maps (from Claudio Pozas), and even a cartoon (from Jason Thompson)—as well as the famed suit of powered armor, as edited by Jeremy Crawford on the Dragon+ livestream!

Best of all, all monies that Wizards of the Coast receives from sales of this PDF are donated to Extra Life. Your purchase of this adventure goes to a truly great cause!

About Extra Life:

Extra Life unites thousands of gamers around the world to play games in support of their local Children's Miracle Network Hospital. Since its inception in 2008, Extra Life has raised more than $30 million for sick and injured kids. Sign up today and dedicate a day of play for kids in your community!

Thanks to Cliff for the scoop!

In addition, the adventure features items and spells named after Galder, the character of a fan known as "SomeHairyGuy" who passed recently of cancer.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Is this a Greyhawk adventure? Are there suggestions in the adventure on how to use it in Forgotten Realms?

Based on the free preview, it has suggestions for use in Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms. It specifically suggests putting it in Chult, or near Waterdeep.

Is this a Greyhawk adventure? Are there suggestions in the adventure on how to use it in Forgotten Realms?

It's only nominally Greyhawk. It has suggestions for Forgotten Realms and other settings. Pretty much any mysterious mountains would do. It does have some tie-ins to White Plume Mountain.

Tonaly, it would fit in well in Chult, as an extra for ToA, but I intend to locate it in The Spine of the World, because that is where my players are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Just bought this.......and I just got Sandy Peterson's Cthulu book in pdf.....it's like they were meant to go together......

Depends on how you ran with it, but you could certainly treat the ship that way, or elaborate it. I played Barrier Peaks... oh, damn, twenty years ago. Part of it involved dipping into the XCom lore a bit, with the ship being a human ship but highly influenced by alien technology. The campaign's big adversary (later proven to be a frenemy) Keraptis (yes of White Plume Mountain fame) was looking for it and there were some stranded XCom personnel looking for a way out of Oerth. At the time I hadn't played XCom so I didn't actually know the backplot, which was fun. It's hard to describe how overall crazy the scenario was, but the weapons from Barrier Peaks stayed with us for a while essentially as highly limited use magic items even after the XCom group gathered up all the Elerium to power their own ship back.

Sounds fun. I never DM'd it, I ran in it when it was new... early 1980s iirc. I was the main DM for my group, running a homebrew game, and a friend ran modules to give me a break sometimes. Good times.

So I picked this up earlier today, and as it turns out the adventure does overview the possibility of the PCs fighting Kwalish. Twice, in fact.

It suggests alternative ways to stat him (Shield Guardian, Lich) if you intend the party to fight him though.

"Use an Evoker" is pretty much if you don't intend the party to fight him, but they decide to do so anyway.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
oooh... this could work well as a capstone for my Yoon Suin campaign.... there is a large mountain range, there is "need", I already put in some subtle clues about some high tech stuff...

Has anyone reviewed the adventure yet?

Remove ads

Remove ads