D&D 5E Lost Mine of Phandelver

Queenie

Queen of Everything
In the back of the crowded wagon, Selari stretched her long legs and rolled her almond shaped golden eyes. The grumblings of the dwarves was sometimes amusing, sometimes annoying yet all the time present. She was tall for an elf and there wasn’t much room back there so she had been switching back and forth between riding and walking in a desperate attempt to keep herself awake, amused and un-crimped. Out of the wagon wasn't much better for amusement. Snooty elves. Well, at least serious looking. Though the other female elf-ish character at least added some enjoyment with her harp .

She hadn't wanted to take on this job, she felt it a definite waste of their talents. "Their" consisted of her and her brother. They spent a lot of time with their heads together whispering, her brother explaining why this was important and her arguing that no amount of money was worth this. And they were going to end up some place that wasn't much better than this trek. She whined and pouted when he put his foot down and decided for them, for that was part of his job. Parts that were determined long ago, almost longer than most human lives lasted. He was the master planner; she was the pretty face, the distraction, the shill. She was even growing tired of that. Mostly because it was too easy.

When she spoke to the others she kept all of those feelings to herself. Well, most of them. She was having a hard time hiding the fact she was bored. She tried to talk to the others to be sociable; after all she came across as open and interested, friendly, easy to talk to, flirty, fun, kind. Some of those things might even be true. But then again conversation depended on two people and she wasn't sure anyone else on this trip was enjoying themselves either. It certainly was an odd group to put together to transport junk.

She slipped out of the wagon and started walking behind it, kicking small rocks, playing with her long deep red hair and daydreaming about big adventures in the wide world.

Fenris

Adventurer
Amron, appeared to be a taller, masculine form of Selari. Same hair, same eyes, less of a twinkle and more piercing, but the same mirth was behind them. He let Selari do most of the talking, not that he wasn't sociable, he spoke to the group and got to know everyone. But he was content to walk beside the cart, mind racing away. At least when he and Selari weren't engaged in some conspiratorial whispering. He took the lead at times to scout ahead, moving quickly and quietly.

He would pause sometimes and watch the wagon, wondering about such an odd collection of travelers. Selari still didn't want to be here, but there were reasons, and they went beyond just money.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
As Selari, in her restless meanderings back and forth between the ground and the wagon, approaches Prophet, the dwarf notices the elf's hand straying toward his pack, specifically toward the dagger he took from a slain orc while he was still with the Mintarn mercenaries.

Meanwhile...

Treygar and Laucian, as well as Amron who is a little ahead of the wagon, spot two dead horses as the wagon rounds a bend in the trail, about fifty feet ahead of the wagon, blocking the path. Each horse has several black feathered arrows sticking out of it.

The woods press close to the trail with steep embankments and dense thickets on either side.

OOC: Treygar, Laucian, and Amron can make and Intelligence (Investigation) check to identify the arrows and/or who the horses might have belonged to. DC 15 to ID the arrows, 10 to ID the horses.

Fenris

Adventurer
Amron gives a hard look towards Selari before he spots the arrows. He stares at them hard for a moment before unstringing his bow and nocking an arrow.

1d20+4=20

industrygothica

Adventurer
"I hope you'll be rememberin' to return that dagger when yer done borrowin' it," says Prophet, trying to catch a much-needed nap. "It's a sentimental one, and I'd be missin' it fer sure, but it ain't worth much." The dwarf shifts, deliberately turning his eyes from her. He knows that she knows he knows, and he's trusting that'll be the end of it.

"Looks like yer brother's found somethin'," he adds as an afterthought.

Brother Dave

First Post
Intelligence (Investigation) (1d20+3=21)

Laucian narrows his eyes when he spots the dead horse in the road. Isn't that... He turns to Treygar. "Stop the wagon. I know that horse, and I'm fairly certain I recognize those arrows as well."

Not waiting for the wagon to come to a halt, he picks up his shield and lightly hops down from the wagon, leaving his pack in the seat. He adjusts his rapier for easy draw and checks the crossbow on his back, then scans both sides of the trail suspiciously.

[sblock=moving forward]Laucian's intent is to go forward and investigate this himself (as part of his duty to protect the wagon and the party), telling Amron to cover him, but I want to wait until he can announce the identity of the horse and the likely source of the arrows.[/sblock]

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Seeing Laucian and Amron readying weapons, Aenwyr does the same. He tosses his staff on the ground beside the wagon once it stops, then follows Laucian's lead in readying his shield as he walks towards the others to see what the commotion is. The druid stays silent, however, giving the air to those with relevant things to say.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
"I hope you'll be rememberin' to return that dagger when yer done borrowin' it," says Prophet, trying to catch a much-needed nap. "It's a sentimental one, and I'd be missin' it fer sure, but it ain't worth much." The dwarf shifts, deliberately turning his eyes from her. He knows that she knows he knows, and he's trusting that'll be the end of it.

"Looks like yer brother's found somethin'," he adds as an afterthought.

A very brief bit of guilt crosses Selari's face before a more confident one takes its place. She shrugs nonchalantly, "I was just looking at it... looked interesting. Maybe you can tell me how you got it one of these days..." She clears her throat, "I guess I should have asked first. My apologies." She looks at Prophet with wide 'looking for forgiveness' puppy dog eyes until she is distracted, "Oh yes, what did they find? Something interesting I hope!"

She hurries over to her brother, pulling out her dagger and short sword as she goes. "What's going on?" she asks quietly, trying to keep the excitement out of her voice.

Xeterog

Explorer
[sblock=investigation]Intelligence (Investigation) (1d20+0=9)[/sblock]

"Whoa! Whoa there boys..that's it." More concerned with getting the wagon stopped, Treygar does not look closely at the arrow filled horses. Once he gets wagon stopped, he dons his shield and reaches for his axe. Perhaps whomever killed the horses is still around--but where are the riders? "Ya see any bodies other than the horses around?!?

Curious about where the attackers had come from, Treygar looks to the thickets on the sides of the road ahead, as he climbs down from the wagon.

Last edited:

Phoenix8008

First Post
Garuk closes his spellbook as the wagon comes to a stop. Clambering over the piled goods, he looks ahead to see why they have stopped their journey. "Dead horses? Do you see any riders anywhere?", he asks while throwing back his hood to improve his vision of the area around them. His bald head turns from side to side surveying the scene nearby. He bends to retrieve his staff in case his spellcasting is about to be needed.

Remove ads