• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Lost S04E05 28 Feb 2008 - The Constant

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
To my mind, this episode was more about tying up some loses ends – mostly pertaining to Desmond – than it was about layout yet more of the island mysteries.

Here a list;

1. We leaned more about Desmond;

A.
Desmond is something of a prat, as he was given the solution to the jumps so they would not kill him, but he refused to share the solution with someone else who was in the same boat.

B.
He was court-martialed for desertion and jailed because he went to Harvard, presumably without permission.

C.
Time being a big wibbily-wobbily-timey-whimey thing rather than a coherent and linear chain of cause and effect, the jumps and the changes made because of the jumps, were always have been* a part of his history.

2. We learned more about the Blackrock, that ship in the jungle;

A. The first officer’s log book escaped with some pirates, but we don’t know how.

B.
The book was purchased by Mr. Widmore.

C.
It had belonged to Alvar Hanso and presumably he and later Mr. Widmore read the content of the book.

3. We learned more about Daniel;

A. He has always been a long haired hippy kind of guy.

B. Mad Science: So much better than the normal kind.

C.
That little note book of his will likely become very important

What am I missing?

*I hate what time travel does to verb tense.

Fast Learner

First Post
The Grumpy Celt said:
A.
Desmond is something of a prat, as he was given the solution to the jumps so they would not kill him, but he refused to share the solution with someone else who was in the same boat.
I hardly think that's fair. He didn't believe in nor understand it while the guy was still alive.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
The Grumpy Celt said:
3. We learned more about Daniel;

C.
That little note book of his will likely become very important

What am I missing?

Just this:

Daniel used his time-displacement device on himself, and is also jumping back and forth, thus explaining a) his note about Desmond needing to be his constant, b) the shaking that he couldn't explain when he heard about the crash of 815 in his flashback, and c) why he didn't recognize Desmond when he first met him. It may also explain his disorientation when he first met Jack and Kate.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Can't place any very specific situations off-hand but I'm questioning to myself that Desmond would/should have acted differently at several points during Season Two and Three if he indeed had foreknowlege that he would be on a boat with Sayad in December 2004.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Blackfish said:
Refresh My memory, did Desmond see the future at all this season. Or did that stop when charlie died?
Stopped with Charlie (not that we've seen Des a lot this season).

RigaMortus2

First Post
The Grumpy Celt said:
To my mind, this episode was more about tying up some loses ends – mostly pertaining to Desmond – than it was about layout yet more of the island mysteries.

Here a list;

1. We leaned more about Desmond;

B.
He was court-martialed for desertion and jailed because he went to Harvard, presumably without permission.

Correction: Oxford. Kinda different.

There are a lot of different ways to do Time Travel, but the way LOST does it reminds me a LOT like The Butterfly Effect, doesn't it?

RigaMortus2

First Post
Interesting tidbit...

Just wanted to make sure you know that Eko's stick said 'Look north, John 3:05' and that Frank's heading was North 305." Zoinks!

Remove ads